cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Big challenge for QlikView experts.

Hello Experts,

I've developed an application that for 10 users. The application access qvd files when we hit reload button. We dont have QlikVIew server so we have installed 10 QlikIVew desktop locally at the users computers.

Now what we want is to put QVD files on the virtual server so that we dont have to copy those qvd files locally at the users computer. This works fine without putting username and password to the virtual machine. But as soon as we protect the virtual machine with a username and password as the data qvd files are containing is very sensitive, the application wont load!

I've attached a picture showing what we are trying to achieve.

Can any one please help me how to access the QVD file from the virtual server when the virtual server is password protected?

Many thanks

helppp.bmp

14 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi again,
I'm no developer but I think you also can try, instead of loading from every laptop, to create two .cmd files:

cmd1
NET USE Q: \\IP to server\Folder for .qvd PWD /user:DOMAIN\User

cmd2
NET USE Q: /DELETE

Change each user document script...

Execute cmd1.cmd

Ordinary reload script - make sure to change the path to .qvd files to use e.g. Q:

Execute cmd2.cmd

/@Ungvall

gardenierbi
Creator II
Creator II

Have you thought about the use of the Binary load functionality? Don't store the data into QVD's but load your original QVW with Section Access. You can place this QVW anywhere on your network (even without NT security) because you can only read this QVW with QlikView and without a valid user/password combination you cannot read the data inside the QVW.

The end users load there personal reports with a binary load so even the script (the business logica) isn't visible for the end users. Simple and safe. Only those end users with a valid login can use the data!

If you secure your QVD's with NT security and the end user stores the data in an unsecured QVW than your security is broken. Everyone with a QlikView license can read those QVW's!

suniljain
Master
Master

In this case you have to secure QVD stored on Virtual Server.

You can use NT Security or you can take help of external tools.

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I really didnt understand the criticality involved.

For the VM Server you can have what ever the user id and pwd you want, but other users to access any files you should give them sharing based on user nt id.

Once you have given access to the users based on their nt id no other user is able to access the QVD's unless they are given access.

Once listed userts have given access to the QVD folder they can simply reload the applications residing on their PC by pointing to QVd on the virtual server using the path notation \\servername\foldername\abc.qvd.

Please see the simplifed file pointing snapshot as attached.

Please let me know where did u stuck, what is the error.

Cheers.

rahulgupta
Partner - Creator III
Partner - Creator III

Hey Hi,

As per my knowledge, Use the Virtual Server as a QlikView Server means:

1. Make all the Application and Qvd available on it.

2. All the Data reloading Activities on it.

3. Give the users a remote access only to the final Application Folder so that they will either access from there or     copy the application to their end.

Regards