cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Loading HL7 CCD (Continuity of Care Document) files into Qlik Sense

Hello everyone,

My team and I are currently testing Qlik Sense functionality for a project that will require our data source to come in the form of CCD files. Upon our initial attempts we noticed that Qlik Sense recognizes the CCD file as XML (which is a good start since the file is an XML file) and that it is parsing data through the unique XML tag hierarchies. Reviewing the "Data Load Editor" screen, we came to find that even the load script would require a lot of editing and aliasing to organize the data. Furthermore the "tables" of data within the CCD file were not imported in one piece and were imported into several different Qlik tables.

Given this, our curiosity saw us changing the Qlik Sense load File Format to HTML. Upon this change, we saw a large chunk of our data formatted correctly and in unified tables as the HTML script from the file would have them formatted. The drawback with using the HTML format is that there are specific Patient and File Author data that are only located within the XML. A workaround would be to do partial HTML and XML loads for the proper pieces of information, but it doesn't seem like the cleanest practice.

Ultimately, we are here wondering if anyone has experience using HL7 CCD files as a data source in Qlik. If so, what is the best practice for importing and extracting the data into a clean format with proper tables and keys to join the tables on?

Thank you so much!

3 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Mitchell,

May this link help you,

HL7 Data type

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Karthikeyan,

Thanks for the response. I believe the example you provided a link to refers to a "Pipe" delimited example where our base file is in XML with embedded HTML. We are currently loading pieces of data separately in HTML and XML format and then creating our own fact table in Qlik Sense, as Qlik Sense's XML load format only loads columns based on their hierarchy tag path.

If there is an example for an HL7 XML load somewhere that would be really helpful.

Thanks for your help, though!

dezmundw15
Contributor III
Contributor III

Did you learn anymore on this subject?  I looks like I am about 10 months behind, as I have the same issue.  What solution did you come up with?