Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cheenu_janakira
Creator III
Creator III

QlikSense Tasks Gantt Waterfall Chart & Analyse Corresponding QVDs

Hi everyone,

Latest version (October 2020) here, also comes with a script log analyser that links back to the task and shows the QVD dependencies.

I have been trying to find some visualisation of QlikSense Tasks as a Gantt waterfall and tried working on the Ops Monitor app to add these. I finally chose to go sideways and make a mix between a 'QMC Sense Tasks Gantt-Waterfall' and a previously developed 'QVD Analyser' so that I could look at the full flow from Task > App > QVD files, tables and fields.

Special thanks to bill.markham‌ for his comprehensive feedback and editing and improving this script/app to its final stage.

Special thanks to hic‌‌ for sharing his folder analyser script.

Special thanks to Kai Hilton-Jones, whose GitHub - kaihj/qlik-sense-timeline: Qlik Sense Timeline Chart chart you need to install as an extension to view the Tasks Gantt Waterfall. You then need to configure this chart with:

• Task Name (sorted by Expression: "MaxString([Reload Start Time])")
  • Reload Start
  • Reload Finish

On the "Task Set Sequence Number", choose one of the higher value to see only one days worth of reloads (a 24 hour set). I have set the back-end code so that the sequence takes all tasks after COB (post 18h00) and groups them with the tasks running until next COB (so that all overnight loads are grouped). Please change the code if you want a different time horizon.

4 things need to be changed in the script:

• Binary load: Point to your own Ops Monitor (do not include ".qvf" extension if running this app on the server directly). You will need to create a LIB connection to the Apps folder where the original Ops Mon is stored. (Or use an INCLUDE function to attached "OpsMonScript.txt" file).
  • The "vQMC_QVD_Store" variable: It should point to a LIBRARY folder where you would like to STORE (and load from) the QVDs from the Ops Monitor data model from the above BINARY load.
  • Edit the "Full_Paths_To_Folder" table so that you have a full list of LIBRARY connections to where you STORE all QVDs for which you would like to collect their XML Header info for further visibility and analysis.
  • (Optional) Setting the server name in variable "vQlikSenseServer" allows you to open the relevant app via URL hyperlink.

IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to the potential pervasiveness of script variable values in some Sense scripts which would end up in script errors, I include another file with the script of this app. I could be that you would require to copy/paste elements into a new/fresh file in order to allow the script to "clear out" and start with a new variable value.

Hope this helps.

Kr,

Cheenu

14 Replies
cheenu_janakira
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Bill,

The key for me was the Gantt too. I just mixed it with the "QVD" information because it suited my needs (basically that part of the script loops through all the folders picking up the header info of QVDs: which file created it, the amount of records, the field name, field data types, etc.). So it allows to go from Task > App > QVD info & details.

If you can edit the Gantt extension for green/red on success/failed tasks, respectively, please do share it. It would be really interesting to be able to see that.

Thanks for sharing the QVFs so far. I'll put them in my enviro for the select any dates of task reloads, which could then enable a historical look at tasks times.

Regards,

Cheenu

cheenu_janakira
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Bill,

Wow. Thanks for the change in code. It gives the full picture, as opposed to just the last run.

As per the QVD part of the script, it might seem like something "obvious", but the first line in the INLINE table is "blank/null". Could the script error come from there or is it something more pervasive?

As for script vars, it seems like they often "stick" with their original value. I have the impression it might be some sort of bug and I hope it will be fixed in future versions.

Cheerio,

Cheenu

xyz1
Creator III
Creator III

Anonymous
Not applicable

Below pasted from Ceehu's starting post to this thread

Special thanks to Kai Hilton-Jones, whose GitHub - kaihj/qlik-sense-timeline: Qlik Sense Timeline Chart chart you need to install as an extension to view the Tasks Gantt Waterfall.

This thread is from a fair few months ago and I can't remember much about the extension.  But the good news is I think it just worked with no problems.

srajqlik
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi,

Do we have a latest version of this please? 

I'd really appreciate that.

Thanks,

Steve