Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Use variable to filter

I want to use only blank values from a field to filter the other data. But because I don't have values for those cells to select them, I created an If statement to insert value 1 on blank fields:

=if (isnull([asp_date_end_FRS]),1,asp_date_end_FRS)

If I use this expression I receive want I need and is ok (see below second field). I created a variable with this expression because I want to use it to filter other data (charts, tables) (see below the first field).

The issue is when I use the variable with the same expression as above I receive only the value "1" for all fields. I know I'm doing something wrong and I would like to know what

variable filter.jpg

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OmarBenSalem

I'd try to do it in the sccript:

example, I have a field dim1 where I have some null values:

Table:

Load *, dim1 as YourNewDim from source where dim1<>'' or dim1<> '-'  or len(trim(dim1))> 0 //dpends on how ur null values are

concatenante

load * ,'1' as YourNewDim from source where dim1='' or dim1= '-' or IsNull(dim1) or len(trim(dim1))= 0 ;

and use YourNewDim in your analysis !

Hope this helps

View solution in original post

3 Replies
OmarBenSalem

Why variable? Variable only retain one value at time.

Create a new dimension (a master item) as you've done and filter by it

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I want to use the result of the calculated field as part of a second expression and from I know I can't use a master dimension on a expression. For example:

SUM(if (isnull([asp_date_end_FRS]),1,asp_date_end_FRS)Value),   I just want to add values if the cell on "asp_date_end_FRS" field is blank. Maybe you can point to another solution to select only blanks and add other fields based on this selection?

OmarBenSalem

I'd try to do it in the sccript:

example, I have a field dim1 where I have some null values:

Table:

Load *, dim1 as YourNewDim from source where dim1<>'' or dim1<> '-'  or len(trim(dim1))> 0 //dpends on how ur null values are

concatenante

load * ,'1' as YourNewDim from source where dim1='' or dim1= '-' or IsNull(dim1) or len(trim(dim1))= 0 ;

and use YourNewDim in your analysis !

Hope this helps