Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III

Qlikview 11 to 12 Upgrade Questions

I’m a Qlikview developer, but have never installed or upgraded it.  My manager has and we’re getting ready to install QV12 over QV11 on Dev, Prod, and Web servers.  We have a few questions and I’m hoping someone here can help.

1. Is there a tool in QlikView or separate that quickly audits security access for all QVWs on a server and easily exports AD groups/users for each report?
  2. The Dev and Prod servers both run Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.  We will leave the OS alone and just upgrade QV.  Should all of the settings, etc., be retained?
  3. The Web server is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Service Pack 1.  We’re going to upgrade it to Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard.  This should cause the QV settings to be lost?  Is there a way to export then apply the needed settings?
  4. Are QMC settings stored on the Prod or Web server?
  5. Are there any apps out there that we should consider using to help us with the upgrades?

Thank you in advance.

-Jason

6 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

before doing anything, f you didn't already read it, you should :

Upgrade and Migration ‒ QlikView

Peter_Cammaert
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

Some quick answers:

1. No, not that I am aware of
  2. Yes. If you're not sure, make a backup of the ProgramData\QlikTech folder before upgrading.
  3. That could be the case, yes. Make a copy of the ProgramData\QlikTech folder and restore it after the Windows upgrade.
  4. Usually only on each server where there is a QMS service running. I guess in your case that means PRD and DEV.
  5. If you mean Qlik apps, then not that I am aware of. Just the documentation here: Upgrading QlikView ‒ QlikView

Everything depends of course on the complexity of your original set-up.

My 2cts? First perform an upgrade to QV12 on the DEV machine and check every corner for holes and anomalies. Then proceed to upgrade PRD and Web Server.

Best,

Peter

[Edit] Seb server? There is no Seb server in QlikView,..

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank you both for the advice.  The Upgrading QlikView ‒ QlikView link is very helpful, too.  My manager seemed familiar with its content. 

His primary concern now is item #1.  We would really like to have something that reads and gets something useful from the meta files.  I.e., Who and what AD groups can access each .qvw.  We would like to audit who has access to what.  Looks to be very manual process.

Thanks again for the help!

-Jason

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

I found a tool that addresses #1.  It is very close to exactly what we need and much better than manually entering everything in QMC into Excel.

It is the QVPR Analysis 2.1 from Rob Wunderlich, found here: Tools | Qlikview Cookbook‌.  I can get a list of what's published, reload schedule, and who is authorized to view the apps (among other things).  Very handy tool. 

rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Jason,

You might find my upgrade notes useful as well.

http://qlikviewcookbook.com/download/qv12-upgrade-considerations/

Are you running Publisher?

When  you say you want to audit who has access, is it that you want to expand the AD groups to usernames and match those up with the qvws?

-Rob

jcampbell474
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hello, Rob.  Yes, I've reviewed your upgrade notes (and also installed/used your ScriptRepository, ran the v12 upgrade check (very handy)).  Thank you for the knowledge and tools.

Yes, we're running publisher.  Initially, we did want to be able to view employees in the AD groups.  But I think that as long as we have the group names, we'll be fine.  I have access to an AD view where I can join on the AD group and get a list of names.  Of course, if the functionality is in your application and I missed it, it would certainly be nice to have.

-Jason