cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III

title boxes, with variable, over a chart

please see enclosed workflow. I need to put the value of the variable TP1 somehow centered over the columns BB1-BB4 and then the value of TP2 centered over BB5-BB9.  If i could do this in the title of the chart "industry3" that would be great, but if i can't, I could do it as a text box.  I tried just a text box with the text =$(TP1) but that just gives me a blue box with a dot in it.  I'm sure this is really easy  - ideas?  thanks

becki kain

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Use the below expression: (Adjust spaces as you need)

=TP1 &'                                                                                        ' &'Retail Share  '&TP2

View solution in original post

6 Replies
trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

In the title paste the below expression:

=TP1 &',' &TP2

If you want to center it then follow the below screen shot:

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

how do I add text to the variables though?  one needs to just be =TP1 and one needs to be "retail share is =TP2" and i cant seem to get the text part to work. thanks

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

the spacing is still off, i need the first value to be over the first 4 numeric columns and the next over the next 4 columns.  is that possible?

so far, i have this

=TP1&             'Retail Share  '&TP2

and that gets me the data but not the spacing.  how do you know where to put the &?

thanks

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Use the below expression: (Adjust spaces as you need)

=TP1 &'                                                                                        ' &'Retail Share  '&TP2

becki_kain
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

thanks!  that works. i'm still confused though as to where you put & in variable expressions .  is there a write up somewhere of that?

trdandamudi
Master II
Master II

Glad I am able to help you...

Let me break it down the expression:

TP1 <---- will get the value from the field

&'                                                                     '   <--- & is to concat. It is concatenating spaces here

&'Retail Share  '   <---  again you are using &, meaning concat 'Retail Share'

&TP2   <--- Once again you are concatenating the value of TP2 here.

Note: & <-- it is like concat or join. By using the ampersand you are joining different values.

String Operators

Hope this helps...