cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lauranvh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Conditional formatting not working from Excel to PDF

I found a weird bug when using Excel conditional formatting.

I made a Excel report that is transformed to a PDF document.

1.png

When i preview the document in Excel the conditional formatting is used and shown

It's a simple conditional formatting rule. When the data date is smaller than date today than the cell turns red.

2.png

But a problem arises when I preview it to PDF

3.png

The complete conditional formatting isn't shown anymore.

This also comes out this way when I start the task and output the report.

Anybody with the same problem, who can help me with a solution?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lauranvh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

A very late reaction but I just fixed this problem.

I used the NUMBERVALUE function in the conditional formatting rule. I changed it to the VALUE function and that works when i preview to PDF.

The precise conditional formatting rule is: VALUE(TODAY())

Very weird problem but it works.

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

Hi

in left side panel

select the table  right clik properties  and   uncheck the option keep source format and preview

lauranvh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Thank you for the quick reaction.

The option was already unchecked. I used my own formatting on this column and the table

4.png

5.png

Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

is it working for excel report?

lauranvh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Yes. The second screenshot in my startpost shows the Excel Preview and that works.

Chanty4u
MVP
MVP

yes i worked in excel  its working fine am not sure about  pdf     lech_miszkiewicz‌ will help you on this

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

PDFs from Excel are basicly Prints of Excel for the user settings running NPrinting Engine. One thing i can think of is that you have some printing settings where for example:

• your pdf printer is printing in black and white
  • or in your excel when printing colors are changed to patterns etc...

I suggest you do following to test my suspisions:

• RDP to Enprinting Machine
  • Generate report in XLS format
  • open it on NPrinting Box and go to File -> Print -> Bullzip PDF printer
    • see how the print looks like. If it is similar to what you are getting when previewing in PDF format thane you have an answer what you need to change

cheers

Lech

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi Lauran - any updates regarding this?

cheers Lech, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful to the problem.
lauranvh
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I do have a difference when i change the workflow.

When i Preview the document to XLSX and then print it with the Qlik NPrinting PDF Printer. I do get the conditional formatting but i also get watermarks in all of the corners.

When i Preview the document directly to PDF. The conditional formatting doesn't work.

I am very certain the conditional formatting just doesn't work when i directly convert to PDF. Let me give you an example:

In the report I have conditional formatting with traffic lights that turn red when i go over time, Orange when I'm 5 days within today's date and Green when i still have time.

This is a preview in Xlsx

7.png

This is the preview when i preview to PDF

8.png

All the traffic lights are green.

What could be the next step to check?

I don't have the Bullzip PDF printer only the Qlik NPrinting PDF Printer

6.png

Lech_Miszkiewicz
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

strange - how do you calculate your conditional formatting? Does your report have to refresh something (for example recalculate data "on open"?

keep in mind that NPrinting PDF is a PRINT to PDF of you Excel so any actions "On Open, Macros etc" will not work.

regarding Bullzip printer - that is OK as you have NPrinting Printer. Make sure you check its settings when logged in as a NPrintng service account - as this is a user specific setting belonging to a user profile.