Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Error: External table is not in the expected format

I have a small problem and I hope you can help me figuring out the reason behind it.

I have an app I finished creating a while ago and it was just sittiing there. Everything was working just fine. There has not been any changes made in the script or in the source files. I opened it and tried to make a reload, but got an error message "External table is not in the expected format". The files are xlsx format. What could be the reason behind it?

5 Replies
devarasu07
Master II
Master II

Hi,

check your source excel file version and re-point your odbc dsn - excle file.

also check this thread.

How to open Password protected Excel file in qlikview?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Could you elaborate on "re-point your odbc dsn - excle file."?

I am loading multiple files using a for loop. How can I point to them (or folder to me more exact)?

marcus_sommer

You might not notice them but I think there are any changes somewhere. If you enabled the document log (document properties in tab general) and adding some trace-statement, for example something like:

for each vFile in ...

trace '$(vFile)';

next

you will find the files which are different as expected.

- Marcus

Ricardo_Gerhard
Employee
Employee

Dear Andrejs,

The problem is displaying because something was changed on your xlsx file.

Just try to recreate a new connection through the wizard on your load script then fix the code in the original Qlik App.

Ricardo Gerhard
OEM Solution Architect
LATAM
edwards142
Contributor
Contributor

The following are the possible causes behind Excel 'external table is not in the expected format’ error.

• Not using a valid Excel workbook.
  • Excel file is somehow got corrupted.
  • You are using an unsupported Excel version.
  • Excel file is password protected and your database doesn’t support password-protected Excel files.

To fix this Excel error you try the fixes mentioned in this helpful post.

SOURCE: http://www.repairmsexcel.com/blog/excel-external-table-is-not-in-the-expected-format