Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aetingu12
Creator
Creator

Setting up a marker based on historic data

Dear all,

I have 3 year worth of data from (31 Jan 2014 until 31 October 2017) for a list of clients with profits.  I would like to have a marker/flag that would mark the client as 1 if the profit has ever been greater or equal to 1 prior to the date being viewed.

ie if I look at customer A in January 2014 the profit is 5, so expected result is 0. But if I take the same customer, A, in March, I want the flag to say 1 as in February it was equal/or greater than the threshold of 10.  I am sure this could be done within a script, but due to being in a corporate environment this tool is restricted.  Is it possible to get an expression/set analysis solution for this?

As always your help is most appreciated!

DatesCustomerProfitExpected result
31-Jan-14A50
31-Jan-14B101
28-Feb-14A101
28-Feb-14B51
28-Feb-14C201
31-Mar-14A81
31-Mar-14B101
31-Mar-14C11
7 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Maybe this as an expression (for the flag):

=if(sum(Profit)>=aggr(Above(sum(Profit)),Dates,Customer), 1, 0)

see attached the QVW

aetingu12
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you with your reply.  Unfortunately this doesn't work.  I need my Flag to be like the expected result.

If I a look at Customer A in March 2014 the profit is less than 10, but historically it has been >= 10 so it should be flagged as one.

Same thing with C.  In Februrary it >= 10 but in March it is only 1, but the flag should say 1 as it has been above 10.

This flag is going to be a small part of a bigger picture.  I will be using this to identify customers that have ever had profits more than 10 before the period that is being selected.

So I will be running analysis on the customers on January 2017 that have had profits >=10 since the flag has been implemented. 

Hope it makes a bit more sens.

Regards,

Aksel

aetingu12
Creator
Creator
Author

I think I might be over complicating it.  I realise that if I use =if(max(profit),'1','0') then I seem to get the correct flag.  But I think I just need one small little amendment to only have it look at the selection data and prior.

So if I select March 2014, the max statement should be from the first available date up and including March 2014.

Same for 2017;  if I select October 2017, max should only look at all prior dates up and including October 2017 and should not go to November 2017.

Thanks,

Aksel

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

If you use this, you will always have 1 as a flag no matter the selections you made

aetingu12
Creator
Creator
Author

But your data is not giving me the right results.  If you look at your flags, once a customer has reached 10 of profit, it should always remain as 1 as flag.  In your example Customer A flag is 0 in January, which is correct, then in February it should be 1 (as profit is 10) , but you have 0 and in March it should remain as 1(even though the balance went down).

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

I'm aware that i gave you incomplete answer

aetingu12
Creator
Creator
Author

I am afraid I just don't see it. I mean, I do not understand what you are trying to do with the Above and Aggr functions in terms of the logic.