Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dukane24
Contributor III
Contributor III

Create an exception table

Hello,

Basically I'm trying to find a way to create a table that will selectively override the data in another table under certain conditions.

The tables are something like this:

MainTable:

Employee ID

Manager Name

ExceptionTable:

Employee ID

Manager Name

So if an employee ID is listed in the ExceptionTable, I would want to use the Manager Name listed there instead of the one in the MainTable.  I've never had a situation like this, so if anyone has ideas on how it could be accomplished it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

4 Replies
m_woolf
Master II
Master II

Use a Mapping Table and the ApplyMap function

Colin-Albert

Create two mapping tables, one based on the Main Table, the other on the Exceptions.

Then use two nested apply map statements, using the Exception mapping first, then the main mapping if the exception does not return a value.

See these posts

https://www.quickintelligence.co.uk/applymap-is-it-so-wrong/

Don't join - use Applymap instead

m_woolf
Master II
Master II

Colin,

Can't the Exception table be the mapping Table? When the Main table is loaded, use applymap for the Manager Name field like:

ApplyMap('MappingTableName',[Employee ID],[Manager Name]) as [Manager Name]

Or am I missing something?

Colin-Albert

Yes, but using a mapping table allows you to specify a value if the Manager data is missing.

If all employees have the manager field populated then your example will work fine.

ApplyMap('ExceptionMgrMap',[Employee ID], ApplyMap('EmployeeMgrMap',[Employee ID],"Not Specified") as [Manager Name]