Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aki_martiskaine
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II

If statement in a String

Hello

First time posting and I hope it's in the correct section. Please feel free to move if necessary.

I'm completing the exercises in the Qlik continuous classroom and I came across a step in a certain exercise that I don't understand.

Learning module: Business Analyst > Create Visualizations > Introduction to String Functions

One step in this exercise is to use the following string in a new dimension in order to organize data by region in a Filter Pane.

If(Right(Region,7)='America','Americas','EMEA')

In the Filter Pane there is a dimension "Region" which contains the following values: "Europe", "North America" or "South America"

While the string is working great and returns values North America -> Americas, South America -> Americas, Europe -> EMEA in the new dimension, I'm frustrated because I can't understand how it actually works. I tried looking for similar problems with If statement combined with string function Right but no luck.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Right reads 7 characters from the end of the Region string (from the right). If these 7 characters read America, the if statement returns Americas otherwise it returns EMEA.

There is also Left and Mid that do similar. See help

View solution in original post

4 Replies
giakoum
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Right reads 7 characters from the end of the Region string (from the right). If these 7 characters read America, the if statement returns Americas otherwise it returns EMEA.

There is also Left and Mid that do similar. See help

sunny_talwar

Are you not sure about the Right function or is there anything else you are not sure about?

agigliotti
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

it's works as expected.

take a look here Right - script and chart function ‒ QlikView

it's just another field created on the fly.

you also do the same in script as below:

LOAD

If(Right(Region,7)='America','Americas','EMEA') as NewRegion

and use this new field as your chart dimension.

aki_martiskaine
Partner - Contributor II
Partner - Contributor II
Author

Hey and thanks for everyone's replies. As they are all correct I will mark the first one, it also being most easy to understand.

Ok so If(Right(Region,7)='America','Americas','EMEA') is just an 'if' statement. I was looking at it wrong because I was driven off by the use of 'Right' string in it.

So this is how I now understand it: If (the string of last 7 = "America") then ("Americas") else ("EMEA").