Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hugheser27
Contributor II
Contributor II

Design question around filtering by a set of possibilites over multiple fields

Hello, I have a transaction table in qlik sense that has two fields that have the same set of possible values...lets say Color1 and Color2. I need to make a dimension for filtering wherein when 'Red' is selected, the chart objects filter by where 'Red' is found in either field of the table. The set of possible colors is equal for both fields.

I have clumsily tried a keytable and a calculated dimension but cannot get the associations right. Please help

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

It should look something like this, obivously youll have more fields this is just what you need to distingush the 2 sets in the same table.

ID
KEYVALUE
1Color1Red
1Color2Red
2Color1Red
2Color2Green
3Color1Blue
3Color2Blue
4Color1Red
4Color2Blue

So in your app you can filter on VALUE = red and it will return the rows that a red and you have the flexibility to filter your date further using the key that identifies your sort either in your expression using set analysis or with a filter.

Regards

Andy

View solution in original post

4 Replies
ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

Can you not restructure your table to concatenate the two fields into one fact table with a key value Identified as either color1 or color2

That will make your data easier to filter on.

Regards

Andy

hugheser27
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Thanks for the response Andy, but Im having trouble understanding it.

Do you mean having color1 and color2 as keys to a keytable?

OR

Do you mean a composite of the two fields string concatenated and with each pair having a key? 

Currently I'm making a color dimension table in the load script via:

AllColors:

load Distinct

Color1 as Colors

resident facts_table;

Concatenate

load Distinct

Color2 as Colors

resident facts_table;

And now my understanding is I need to build keys in the original fact table and a keytable to relate them to the Colors dimension. Im hoping there is a way for qlik sense to do this for me?

ogster1974
Partner - Master II
Partner - Master II

It should look something like this, obivously youll have more fields this is just what you need to distingush the 2 sets in the same table.

ID
KEYVALUE
1Color1Red
1Color2Red
2Color1Red
2Color2Green
3Color1Blue
3Color2Blue
4Color1Red
4Color2Blue

So in your app you can filter on VALUE = red and it will return the rows that a red and you have the flexibility to filter your date further using the key that identifies your sort either in your expression using set analysis or with a filter.

Regards

Andy

hugheser27
Contributor II
Contributor II
Author

Andy, thanks for explaining. You were a huge help!

I used a composite key and a crosstable load to achieve the structure you showed. Now I can filter off of ColorFieldValue='Red' and it shows all records that have "Red" in either of the fields. Also, can further qualify with a filter on ColorFieldKey.

Load script below

LOAD

Item,

Color1,

Color2,

"Date",

Item &'-'&" Color1 "&'-'& Color2 as CompositeKey

FROM [...file]

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is facts_table);

Colors_CT:

Crosstable (ColorFieldKey,ColorFieldValue)

load CompositeKey, Color1 resident facts_table;

Crosstable (ColorFieldKey,(ColorFieldValue)

load CompositeKey, Color2 resident facts_table;