Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Colored conditional line-charts in dimensions with high number of categories

It is well explained by Steve Street on color by expression - QlikSense, and Kaan Erisen in Change color in charts with conditional dimensions and aggregations how to create conditional colored line charts. Nevertheless, this option is perfect to be applied on Line Charts cases were you have few-categories dimensions (e.g. Sales Sum by Continent), as this solution uses the function ValueList and each category of a dimension should be entered manually. In the case of many-categories dimensions (e.g. Sales Sum by City_ID or Customer_ID) it does not work well, as it is not practical to enter manually the ID´s of all the cities.

My question is: is it possible to create this condition-colored Line Charts over many-categories dimensions without entering them manually with the ValueList approach?

I explain a reproducible file example attached:

Variable extensions values in the app attached:

BeginPromoA = 01.05.17

EndPromoA = 03.05.17

BeginPromoB = 04.05.17

EndPromoB = 06.05.17

BeginPromoC = 07.05.17

EndPromoC =  08.05.17

First I create a conditional colored line chart for an example where I only have 4 categories. It works well:

Data

Dimensions:

Date

Synthetic Dimension -> Fx expression:

ValueList('First Class', 'Second Class', 'Standard Class', 'Same Day')

Measures:

Sales -> Fx expression:

if(  ValueList('First Class', 'Second Class', 'Standard Class', 'Same Day')='First Class', SUM({<[Ship Mode]={'First Class'}>}Sales),

if(  ValueList('First Class', 'Second Class', 'Standard Class', 'Same Day')='Second Class', SUM({<[Ship Mode]={'Second Class'}>}Sales),

if(  ValueList('First Class', 'Second Class', 'Standard Class', 'Same Day')='Standard Class', SUM({<[Ship Mode]={'Standard Class'}>}Sales),

if(  ValueList('First Class', 'Second Class', 'Standard Class', 'Same Day')='Same Day', SUM({<[Ship Mode]={'Same Day'}>}Sales)

))))

Appearance

Colors and Legend -> Fx expression:

if((Date>=date(date#('$(vBDA_3)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')) and (Date<=date(date#('$(vBDA_4)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')),LightRed(),

IF(MATCH(ValueList('First Class', 'Second Class', 'Standard Class', 'Same Day'),'First Class','Same Day','Second Class'),Blue(),LightGreen()))

The resulting graph is perfect:

imagex1.png

Now, what I want to create is an analogous example with more categories, with error results. I.e.

Data

Dimensions:

Date

City

Measures:

UABs (Unique Active Buyers )-> Fx expression:

num(Count(Distinct [Customer ID]),'#,##0',',' )

Cities to be coloured in green:

- New York City

- Los Angeles

image2x.png

Thanks in advance for all your answers. Anibal

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kaanerisen
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Anibal,

"My question is: is it possible to create this condition-colored Line Charts over many-categories dimensions without entering them manually with the ValueList approach?"

Actually you don't need to use 'valuelist' method to get this chart you desired with this data.

Dimensions:

Date

[Ship Mode]

Measures:

Sum(Sales)

Appearance

IF((Date>=date(date#('$(vBDA_3)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')) and (Date<=date(date#('$(vBDA_4)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')),LightRed(),

IF(MATCH([Ship Mode],'First Class','Same Day','Second Class'),Blue(),LightGreen()))

For second graph,

Data

Dimensions:

Date

City

Measures:

Appearance

if((Date>=date(date#('$(vBDA_3)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')) and (Date<=date(date#('$(vBDA_4)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')),LightRed(),

IF(MATCH(City,'New York City','Los','Los Angeles'),LightGreen(),Blue()))

- New York City

- Los Angeles

İf you have to many categories maybe you can define it in script level.

Hope it helps,

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kaanerisen
Creator III
Creator III

Hi Anibal,

"My question is: is it possible to create this condition-colored Line Charts over many-categories dimensions without entering them manually with the ValueList approach?"

Actually you don't need to use 'valuelist' method to get this chart you desired with this data.

Dimensions:

Date

[Ship Mode]

Measures:

Sum(Sales)

Appearance

IF((Date>=date(date#('$(vBDA_3)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')) and (Date<=date(date#('$(vBDA_4)','DD.MM.YY'),'DD.MM.YY')),LightRed(),

IF(MATCH([Ship Mode],'First Class','Same Day','Second Class'),Blue(),LightGreen()))

For second graph,

Data

Dimensions:

Date

City

Measures:

Appearance

IF(MATCH(City,'New York City','Los','Los Angeles'),LightGreen(),Blue()))

- New York City

- Los Angeles

İf you have to many categories maybe you can define it in script level.

Hope it helps,

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Thank you Kaan Erisen for your response. Works perfect your solution. Regards, Anibal.