cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ranking products based on each line (measure) of a Du Pont Analysis

Hi Guys,

I have a pivot table for a Du Pont Analysis to allow me to look at performance of different products across a province/suit (geographical area).

I run a similar exercise in Excel where I ranked the products in a single province, or provinces for a single product, from where I then created a radar diagram.

Below the Du Pont analysis set up for me by an advanced Qlik user.

Looking at the basic RANK-function I get confused as to how to apply it as the syntax behind every Du POnt measure is quite advanced for me.

Please let me know what additional information I can provide to assist in creating a solution.

Kind regards, and happy holidays.

Johan

1 Solution
8 Replies
sunny_talwar

I am not really sure what your issue is? Did you not understand what the advanced qlik user did or are you unable to get something you desire?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

Thank you for your reply.

I’m trying to use the ranking function but need help with it.

I want to look at a certain product, for example HL, and rank the provinces from 1 (best performer) to 7 (worst performer) based on some of the measures, for example NII, NIR, Credit, Headline Earnings and ROE.

The table below shows the selected product HL and its performance across the different provinces. An example of the measures - NII - this is based on the following (if that is helpful):

(Sum({<Year_Month = {'$(=$(vMaxYearMonth))'}>}YTD_NII)/vMaxMonth*12)

My aim is then to get a similar looking table just showing a ranking for the respective provinces from 1 to 7, for each of the measures I select.

I hope this is enough context.

Thank you

Johan

sunny_talwar

I think your province dimension is pivoted and you might be using Rank function.... try using HRank instead of Rank and see if that works for you

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Yes, it is a pivot table.

In my comment above I mentioned ranking for the respective provinces. I realized it would be more insightful for my purposes to select one province and rank the products in such province.

I have select a single province and applied the HRank function:

• I didn't use the TOTAL qualifier - it returned no values then;

• And playing with the mode and format also made no difference.

I applied the HRank function on a copy of the same pivot table as follows -

HRank((Sum({<Year_Month = {'$(=$(vMaxYearMonth))'}>}YTD_NII)/vMaxMonth*12)) 

However, the ranking does not appear to be correct as shown below:

and ranked as  

I was expecting the ranking to be:

1 – S&I

2 – Card

3 – SE Lending

4 – Retail Lending

5 – Business Lending

6 – VAF

7 – HL

sunny_talwar

So the table above uses this expression?

(Sum({<Year_Month = {'$(=$(vMaxYearMonth))'}>}YTD_NII)/vMaxMonth*12)

and table below (the one with the rank) uses this?

HRank((Sum({<Year_Month = {'$(=$(vMaxYearMonth))'}>}YTD_NII)/vMaxMonth*12))

If it does, then I don't see a reason for it to not work... Would you be able to share a qvf sample to check this out?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Sunny,

I noticed a part of the expression commented out (//) and after including it in the function the ranking came out correctly.

Thank you so much for your time in this regard.

Johan

sunny_talwar

Super