Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wardzynski
Creator
Creator

What is the best way to deploy Apps in Qlik Sense Enterprise version

I will go and ask this openly and see what are the best ideas I get from experts in the community.

I am working on a Qlik Sense Enterprise server where most of the testing (UAT), development has been done on the very same server unfortunately also serving as the Production environment. I am experienced in Qlikview and now getting up and running in the Qlik Sense Environment.

What we need to do is clean the environment, but also move the most relevant Applications from this mixed environment (Prod, Uat, Dev) first to a DEV environment, then to the UAT and finally to a cleaned up PROD environment.

I am looking into governance applications, such as Qlik Sense Governance Collector,(Qlik Branch), but also into a Qlik deployment framework. Maybe also Qlik Sense QMC utilities?

What is the best and easiest approach to do this without introducing to much complications.

We have many applications that have data connections to DBs as well as excel files.

We have different streams, and we have different departments having access to different Streams.

I would need some help with role definitions, defining responsibilities, but also best practice on moving applications with their data connections, extensions, 2 layers of apps (QVD generators as well as Front-End apps) and to make it more complicated we use Mashups on top of that, that are integrated with a website portal.

All your advice is highly appreciated!

17 Replies
wardzynski
Creator
Creator
Author

Thank you John for the very good tip. I also like the follow-up comments with the experience people had rolling out their QS applications using WIP. I have requested for a demo with them and hopefully it is all we need that will save us a lot of time and hassle in the organization.

wardzynski
Creator
Creator
Author

John,

Do you know if you can track/audit all the individual clicks and selections end-users makes for each application using this tool?

jpk
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Hi Daniel

WIP does not track the user actions.

The Qlik Governance application does that pretty well as it reads the server log file.

The complexity analysis piece is being implemented into WIP as part of the quality control requirements for both file and environment as this is generally omitted, and by the time applications bring environments down, it's to late. If your complexity is higher than what has been set as a tolerance for an environment it won't let you publish your application so you either need to fix it or request dispensation from the admin user. The version which will include complexity analysis will be released 1 December.

Regards

JP

PlatformManager-Expert
Partner - Contributor III
Partner - Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

You might want to check the In4BI solution called Platform Manager. I know they are quite popular with Qlik enterprise customers.

Hope this helps,

Best,

Jeroen

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes unlimited QlikView or QlikSense licenses.

Anonymous
Not applicable

>> I do hope that Qlik at some point let's you republish a published app (like from UAT to Prod).

That's the problem for us you can't and have to copy back the app to your workspace any time you need to re-publish, ant that lead to confusion.

stvegerton
Creator III
Creator III

Agreed. This sounds like a perfect use case for In4BI Platform Manager.. We use it with QlikView

+ I would add more nodes to the existing Qlik Sense cluster, sharing the same central node. Segregating the apps in, DEV, UAT and PRD nodes using sync rules. That way you can't "bring down PRD" nodes with apps in My Work/DEV/UAT nodes. You'd want at least 2 PRD nodes for failover/load balancing. Only allow Ops team to promote and publish apps to PRD streams/nodes.

Or set up separate DEV, UAT and PRD clusters with separate central nodes. Platform Manager can promote across separate clusters in a controlled way. PM also adds lineage, version control, graphical version compare metadata search, roles, AD integration..

I believe the Platform Manager repository would retain the same App ID across clusters. That way you don't lose the relationship with user app objects (stories, sheets etc) when migrating across clusters. Unlike native Qlik Sense.

johanlindell
Partner - Creator II
Partner - Creator II

Check out Qlik CLI Powershell. With this you should be able to automate this by setting up a powershell script that copies a published (UAT) app to "your work" and then publishes it to "Prod" and then deletes your copy. I haven't set it up myself but I have seen it on a partner day at Qlik. http://branch.qlik.com/#!/project/58b83eb68bc22ec70e8788f3