Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Qlikview Personal edition reload with Windows task scheduler

Hi Guy,

I am on PE at the moment, My requirement while evaluating Qlik for our company is below, Please can anybody help me on this

I have a very small amount of data from csv file, Now I have created couple of charts and want this to be automatically reload and update the records. The idea is to open the desktop edition on a screen in the office and schedule the reload every 15 mins so that the records gets updated, I have successfully made it to reload with -r command but this is not updating the records while the document is open, I also tried command L which always opens a new instance of desktop and updates the record but doesn't save the qvw which is fine, but am struggling to find a way to not open new instance but to show in the current open qvw (desktop itself), Is there a way to do this please...

Thanks for your help

36 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Please upload your / a sample QVW that demonstrates this issue.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Please find the qvw attached....I have commented out my variable since it is loading every second....As I am on personal edition I will not be able to open the document you send back, so any screen shots will be much appreciated

Thanks a lot Stefan, Also to be more clear from the below link I am facing the same issue as Carlos whose comment is the second last one

Auto reload every 10 minutes – desktop client | Lucian Cotea

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Seems like your issue is not due to QV version. What OS are you using?

If you disable the trigger for now, and you use this variable definition

2018-01-18 18_49_10-QlikView x64 - [E__Users_Stefan_Downloads_Reloadtest_3.qvw_].png

You should see an integer in your variable input box, increasing by 1 every 15 seconds.

2018-01-18 18_51_07-QlikView x64 - [E__Users_Stefan_Downloads_Reloadtest_3.qvw_].png

What do you see?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Yes I can see it increasing it to every 15 secs....I am using windows, See attached please

Thanks

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hm, your trigger seems to fire more often than expected.

Try this as workaround for now:

Create another variable vCheck, add this variable to your input box.

Change your macro to:

Sub Reload

set varTest1 = ActiveDocument.Variables("vTest")

set varTest2 = ActiveDocument.Variables("vCheck")

If varTest1.GetContent.String = varTest2.GetContent.String then

ActiveDocument.Reload

varTest2.SetContent varTest1.GetContent.String +1 , true

end if

End sub

and enable the macro in your trigger action.

Now change the variable vCheck in your input box to the value currently shown in vTest+1

and wait...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi, It seems to do nothing, Please see the attached doc with screen shots of what I am doing, Please correct me if I am wrong, Sorry...

Also the input box values are changing but reload is not triggered...

Apologies for being a pain....

Edit....

Finally I have made it work...I was confused not adding vTest+1... So anybody who looks at this post for reference, Above code from Stefan is Charm & document is all good but in the vCheck variable created I have to add +1 value...which means for example If vTest is showing 5 I need to enter 6 in Variable vCheck definition, From then on it Auto reloads...The very tiny thing is if the document is closed and re opened I need to do a manual reload and change vCheck = vTest+1 value according to vTest

Thanks a lot Stefan,,,,,You are really helpful, am not able to get around why it seems to trigger more than expected from the before code

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Ok, now that it's working, you can create an OnOpen document trigger in Settings- Document properties and create an external - Set Variable action.

Set vCheck to

=Div(Round(Frac(Now())*60*60*24),15)+2

//start vCheck when opening the document with an initial timer value +2 (+1 should be sufficient, add 2 just to avoid a race condition on start up).

edit:

And if you want to keep the application running over night / midnight, you need to remove the frac() function from the variable definition / OnOpen tigger action:

=Div(Round((Now())*60*60*24),15) // 15 seconds