Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Thomas_Spitzer
Contributor III
Contributor III

Column width in Qlik Sense straight table. Unhappy responsive sizing behaviour. How to adjust?

Hi,

initially we have been very happy about the much more user friendly new horizontal scrollbar feature for Qlik Sense straight table since November Release 2017.

Unfortunately straight table has now a different (worse) responsive column sizing behavior.

If you have a longer text, the column width gets huge (sometimes even more than the whole screen). Otherwise in some cases the column width is set too small, so even short numbers are not fully visible (despite a lot of available space for the table).

The only "solution" we currently see, is manually adjust the column width and save the layout of the whole table. This is tedious (we have a lot of costumers and tables) and results in a fixed column layout (which does not match to the responsive layout concept of Qlik Sense).

Is there any other way to adjust the column width (for example by setting a "max column width parameter" or force all columns to be displayed "in good sizing" on the available space)?

4 Replies
ericasense
Contributor III
Contributor III

My only suggestion here would be to force-limit the width of string columns using

=left([expression],[x characters])

I initially thought of writing some intelligent expression that inserted line breaks, but actually it raises an interesting issue in that it is hard to do line breaks in QlikSense, within a table:

Re: New line character in qlik sense, chr(10) and chr(13) does not work

https://community.qlikview.com/thread/173035

New line in table | Qlik Community

Has anyone else had a similar issue, and resolved it? A quick search didn't find a resolution to the line break issue.

Erica

Thomas_Spitzer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Thank you Erica.

To skip the expressions is not a sustainable solution  for us, because we are loosing relevant Information (i.e. for product description).

I wonder why there are no more posts. We got different notes from users that the default handling of the table has become confusing.

Who else has the same issue?

sunilchakala_ql
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi Thomas,

Is your issue resolved? even we have hard time with this behaviour.

let me know if you find any work around.

Thanks

Sunil

Thomas_Spitzer
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Hi Sunil,

so far we have no solution other than manually adjust the column width, as mentioned above.

If is there any other solution we are pretty interested as well.

Thomas