Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How not to display a dimension in a chart, when it is null?

Hi all,

Have created a "Dynamic report" which allows users to specify which reporting dimensions they want displayed in a report, through the use of variables

PROBLEM: when no selection has been made in "zzUser_Select2", the report displays an error message in the 2nd column

AIM: what changes need to be made to my syntax, in order to return null() or no dimension when no selection has been made?

Current syntax:  =if(isnull($(zzVariable2)),null(),$(zzVariable2))

Kind regards,

Rich

7 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Found a quick work around for the above:

" =if(len(zzVariable2)=0,null(),$(zzVariable2)) "

I would now like to not show a column, when there is no dimension being returned (ie dimension =  null().

"Suppress when value is null" (in the dimensions tab) doesn't display any dimensions, when one or more dimensions return a null (ie both disappear, when one displays a null) - is there a work around for this?

Please advise,

Kind regards,

Rich

Not applicable
Author

just realised my error in my original post - syntax should have been

=if(isnull(zzVariable2),null(),$(zzVariable2))

Anyone have any thoughts how to not display a dimension in a chart, when it is null?

Not applicable
Author

does anyone have any thoughts as to whether this is possible or not?

Please advise,

Kind regards,

Rich

kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

Hi,

If you want to hide the dimension depending upon the condition, then you should use the straight table instead of pivot table.

Go to Presentation Click on the Dimension you want to hide and click on Conditional

Type condition as

=if(isnull(zzVariable2),0,1)

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!
Not applicable
Author

Hi Kaushik,

Thanks for your ideas, although think that perhaps the feature that you are talking about is not available in QV v8.5?

RptVariables.gif

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Have created a work around which produces the end result, but perhaps not in the most optimal manner:

Using the "GetSelectedCount" function, have created a variable to identify how many "fields" the user has selected (RptColCount).

Report has been cloned for as many times as there are reportable columns, with additional calculated dimension added

Conditional show has been applied on the various reports, to reflect the number of reportable columns

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

+ve :  Solves my issue
-ve :   More than one report needs to be created (ie no "master report")

Can anyone expand on this approach, in order to create just the one master report?

Any thoughts appreciated,

Kind regards,

Rich

ToniKautto
Employee
Employee

QlikView 8.5 is no longer officially support, so please consider upgrading to QV9 or QV10. In general an upgrade from QlikView 8.5 also provides a richer developer experiance with more features.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

I haven't read carefully or looked at your examples, but on the surface it looks like you have the same issue that was solved in several different ways in this thread:

http://community.qlik.com/thread/33228

The solution I use is the dynamic report template I posted, though you can significantly simplify the macro if you're only fiddling with dimensions and not expressions (I think I have an example of that as well if you want it).  If you really want to stick with variables instead, another example further down the page shows hiding dimensions that are based on variables when that variable isn't set to one of the fields.  For that matter, Nicolas Allano posted some hybrid code using macros to actually add and remove dimensions based on the variables similar to how my dynamic report template adds and removes dimensions based on selections in a "Dimension" field.

If I'm misunderstanding the problem due to skimming, I apologize, and I can take a closer look.