Did you mean: 
davidvikings198
Contributor
Contributor

Creating QVD files or Connecting straight to SQL server

Can someone give me their thoughts on:

1.  Creating QVD files. 

2 Or straight connection to SQL DB. 

I Want the pros and the cons.  Better yet best practices.  I know some myself but want to here from the community. 

DAvid‌

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anil_Babu_Samineni

Yes, There is 2 approaches

1) Maintain Another QVW which Transaction work file like to generate QVD's (Which means QVD generator)

2) Again, Without load data There is no concept QVD in QIX. So, You can work load the data and Store into QVD's then Load QVD's into Qlik (This is more optimized and will work 1:10 ratio).

3) So, finally Even if your server(DB) gets down you don't worry about Data load because STORE command runs internally inline memory for Qlik.

Does this helps?

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anil_Babu_Samineni

I am going to start from second one

2) Or straight connection to SQL DB

- You need to create ODBC Driver (From Administrative Tools (Under Control Panel), You need to pick either 32-bit         or 64-bit)

- And you have to connect DB via Created ODBC Driver

- You have to provide more inputs - Follow How to pull data from PostgreSQL to Qlik

1) Creating QVD files

- Once your load success from Any DB

- Use STORE Command to store QVD's from All directories

- STORE DirectoryName into YourPath\FileName..qvd (qvd);

Best Anil, When applicable please mark the correct/appropriate replies as "solution" (you can mark up to 3 "solutions". Please LIKE threads if the provided solution is helpful
davidvikings198
Contributor
Contributor
Author

‌Thank you Anil.  Do you have an opinion on which one you like over the other.  Seems connecting to the server would create load time where weds would not. 

DAvid

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Your 2 question are 2 different questions not similar one. Not sure, I followed about this?

davidvikings198
Contributor
Contributor
Author

‌Sorry about that.  What I was asking is when loading data is it better to pull it straight from the sql db or create qvds of your data and load the data from them.

DAvid

Anil_Babu_Samineni

Yes, There is 2 approaches

1) Maintain Another QVW which Transaction work file like to generate QVD's (Which means QVD generator)

2) Again, Without load data There is no concept QVD in QIX. So, You can work load the data and Store into QVD's then Load QVD's into Qlik (This is more optimized and will work 1:10 ratio).

3) So, finally Even if your server(DB) gets down you don't worry about Data load because STORE command runs internally inline memory for Qlik.

Does this helps?

Chamini2020
Contributor
Contributor

anyone give an example for this