Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Can I replicate "installation + migration" of Qlik Sense on Server on my personal machine?

I'm fairly new to using Qlik Sense and want to learn about the work a Qlik Sense admin will have to perform.

My personal machine is 16GB i5 which is far less in configuration to the Server - 100 GB, 16 cores.

I want to replicate the process of installing Qlik sense and migrating only a few apps from an existing server to Qlik Sense on my local machine.

I want to do this to get thorough with the process of "installation + migration".

I have a list of questions which are as below:

1. Can I do it with Qlik Sense Desktop version? If not, can I do it with Enterprise version?

2. Is it possible with the configuration of my laptop?

3. If installation is possible, can I use the same license key as the one used for the Enterprise version on the server?

4. Migration would involve the process of migrating certificates, repository, apps and everything that one needs to migrate on the server.

Would this be possible for my local machine?

If this is not a feasible option, can you recommend any other way I can learn about the "installation + migration" process?

Thanks,
Akshay

3 Replies
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

Hi,

Maybe mto‌ can give precise answers to your questions ?

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Akshay - thanks for your question and welcome to the Qlik family! There are a few options for you.

Thanks Yousseff for tagging me)

In answer to your questions:

1. Qlik Sense Desktop does not have the Qlik Management Console (QMC) - so this is not possible with Desktop
  2. It is possible with a configuration on your laptop - running Qlik Sense Enterprise locally
  3. Yes you should be able to use the same Enterprise License Key on your laptop

Migration can be a number of different things - you can look at the online help which covers some of these steps:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2018/Subsystems/ManagementConsole/Content/manage-QMC-resou...

There are some Enterprise videos I created (using the older version of Qlik Sense) - that can show you some of the administration steps - newer videos are now hosted in the Qlik Help YouTube channel (linked from this index)

New to Qlik Sense Enterprise Server Videos

Also - finally you may want to look into Qlik Continuous Classroom: Course: System Administrator Library

There is a brief video I created that explains it: ( hke‌)

HTH

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello mto‌,

Thank you for your response. I'll surely go through the resources that you have provided.

I have a few more follow-up questions:

1. The Enterprise license key has already been used for installing Qlik Sense Enterprise on one server. Do you think I can use it again for running QS Enterprise on my laptop?

2. By Migration, I mean the following:

a. We have a PROD server with some issues in OS.

b. We need to create a New PROD server and move all Apps, Configuration, Data Files, Repository and other things from the existing PROD to the New PROD server so that we can later switch to the New PROD server after testing it successfully.

c. Before I do that, I want to replicate the same process on my local machine but with fewer Applications - 2 or 3.

d. Do you think I can do such a migration on my local machine?

Regards,

Akshay Bhatkar