Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
baarathi
Creator III
Creator III

restricting user's access

How can restrict data access for different users in qliksense app? for example i have mentioned the below scenerio

CEO---> Project Manager--->Employee

CEO has access to view and edit all the data in the app.

Manager has access to view and edit data related to his project.

Employee has access to view data related to his project.

How to implement these restriction in qliksense?

17 Replies
baarathi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Thank You Youssef belloum for helping me out. I hope i would get a solution from kaushik.solanki or mto.

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Guys - there are security rules and settings to control actions and resources and then there are data rules via section access (Dynamic Data Reduction) to control what rows and columns are viewed when creating / running a report. There are also certain predefined ROLES (that can be created as custom) - to control who can create and edit apps and who can view them, So before we continue, I'd like to distinguish specifically the users and their desired actions. Let's not use the term EDIT DATA - as data is only accessed via fields to create visualizations, or it is defined to create master items. I don't think anyone is actually EDITING the data - you mean editing vs. viewing the apps I am assuming.

Once we have these down - we can determine the best approach - but most likely will be a combination of defining roles, setting up security rules to control data CONNECTION access and setting Section Access via (Script) to control who sees what fields and rows.

Let us know

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

mto

That's what I'm trying to understand also before going to step by step...

For me (personal opinion), If it was me that created this thread I would have used the word Edit data, it would just mean for me that the user can access the script to Modify/reload it.

hope it is not completely wrong..

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hi Youssef - nope not wrong - just semantics is all - to me editing data - is actually changing the underlying data values in a data source or table.

Editing the LOAD SCRIPT would be the correct way - Editing an app - is changing / modifying the app . etc.

Thanks for your excellent Qlik Community support!

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
baarathi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

@Michael Tarallo , ya you are right, we cannot edit the data. Its@ all about viewing. CEO should view the entire data, project manager should view the data which is related to him.

YoussefBelloum
Champion
Champion

The community is giving me much more than what I'm giving.. so it is normal

Thank you for always beeing available. your knowledge is extremely appreciated

Michael_Tarallo
Employee
Employee

Hello Baarathi - ok then - that makes it much clearer - so this seems to be just standard section access

Please review this and let us know if you have any more questions:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2018/Subsystems/PlanningQlikSenseDeployments/Content/Deplo...

When applicable please mark the appropriate replies as CORRECT. This will help community members and Qlik Employees know which discussions have already been addressed and have a possible known solution. Please mark threads as HELPFUL if the provided solution is helpful to the problem, but does not necessarily solve the indicated problem. You can mark multiple threads as HELPFUL if you feel additional info is useful to others.

Regards,

Mike T

Qlik

Regards,
Mike Tarallo
Qlik
kaushiknsolanki
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

HI Baarathi,

as mto‌ said its a clear case of section access, check the link he gave for more info.

You can also give a small search in community for section access and you will find many examples available which can help you to understand the concept in detail.

For example below link.

Tips and tricks for section access in Qlik Sense (2.0+)

Thanks youssefbelloum‌ to tagging me in this post.

Regards,

Kaushik Solanki

Please remember to hit the 'Like' button and for helpful answers and resolutions, click on the 'Accept As Solution' button. Cheers!