Skip to main content
Announcements
Live today at 11 AM ET. Get your questions about Qlik Connect answered, or just listen in. SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

2 dimensions, 2 expressions in a bar chart

Hello members of QlikCommunity,

I'm fairly new to QlikView, and I have a minor issue here.

I want to create a bar chart where I have two dimensions: Year and Month

Within the year and months, I want to display the actual and the budget income to easily compare these two numbers.

I do not have a problem creating the bar chart itself, being able to have the value for one month, and then displaying the difference.

The issue arises when I want to display for two years at the time; then I end up with a grouping of year as the primary dimension, and month as the secondary dimension - so far, so good.

But, alas, when doing so, I end up with budget and actual being stacked bars per month, instead of two separate bars. Any idea how to solve this?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,

Jonas

4 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Do you want to compare one years month with the same month the previous year side by side?

You can concatenate the info in the dimension Month & '-' & Year with a sort expression

date(makedate(Year,Month),'YYYY/MM') so the order is right. If the bar chart is set to grouped it should show actual and budget side by side for each month.

its_anandrjs

Hi,

As i understand why you not use monthyear function to display both month and year together, I suggest you to create a field which is based on Monthname(DateField) and use this field in place of the Year and month.

Regards

Anand

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Jonas,

if you use >= 2 active expressions and 2 dimensions, the values are always displayed in stacked bars.

(Please refer to the reference manuals, design properties for bar charts for more details).

If you want to see grouped expression values, one workaround would be to create a single dimension out of the two, like marcsliving said.

Stefan

its_anandrjs

Hi,

I suggest you to use Monthname field with the code

=Date(Monthname(Date),'YYYY-MMM')

and use this as a dimension and sort the chart with the Month field then see the whole chart will display 2011-Jan and 2012-Jan and so on upto Dec you able to see the data.

Regards

Anand