Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OmarBenSalem

Very WEIRD behaviour of the if...else in Qlik ! (This is not a question)

Hi guys ( mto‌),

I don't know if u're already aware of this; but I've remarked a very strange behaviour when using if..else in qlik sense script.

In fact, when the condition is put as follow (in the same LINE):

if $(vFXD1)='NULL' or $(vFXD2)='NULL'or $(vFXM)='NULL' or $(vFXMLen)=0 or $(vFXD1Len)=0 or $(vFXD2Len)=0

Qlik Sense will take all of this into consideration

BUT

If I separate my condition into different lines:

if $(vFXD1)='NULL'

or $(vFXD2)='NULL'

or $(vFXM)='NULL'

or $(vFXMLen)=0

or $(vFXD1Len)=0

or $(vFXD2Len)=0

QLIK Sense will ONLY take into consideration the first LINE !!!

That's so ... weird.. to say the least...!

Can you please have a look at this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is fully documented that it behaves in this way, the red formatting of the text is mine:

Since the if..then statement is a control statement and as such is ended with either a semicolon or end-of-line, each of its four possible clauses (if..then, elseif..then, else and end if) must not cross a line boundary.

It is quoted from the documentation here:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2018/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/ScriptControlStateme...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
petter
Partner - Champion III
Partner - Champion III

It is fully documented that it behaves in this way, the red formatting of the text is mine:

Since the if..then statement is a control statement and as such is ended with either a semicolon or end-of-line, each of its four possible clauses (if..then, elseif..then, else and end if) must not cross a line boundary.

It is quoted from the documentation here:

https://help.qlik.com/en-US/sense/February2018/Subsystems/Hub/Content/Scripting/ScriptControlStateme...

OmarBenSalem
Author

I see. But I still think It's weird..

OmarBenSalem
Author

Hi again petter-s, stalwar1

Please assist on this:

I have a simple scenario

if condition is met then

call the qlik notification connector (to send email notification);

exit script;

What I want to do ; if one of the tables are missing, send notification  and exit script:

and in the dashboard, we'll be able to see what tables are missing.

here's what I had (before including the qlik notification connector):

if $(vFXD1)='NULL' or $(vFXD2)='NULL'or $(vFXM)='NULL' or $(vFXMLen)=0 or $(vFXD1Len)=0 or $(vFXD2Len)=0

THEN

LET ErrorMode=1;

exit Script;

This was working FINE; and I can see that the 4 tables are missing !

Capture.PNG

Now, I altered the script so that I can have only D1 missing..

and I added the second part (call the notification connector)

if $(vFXD1)='NULL' or $(vFXD2)='NULL'or $(vFXM)='NULL' or $(vFXMLen)=0 or $(vFXD1Len)=0 or $(vFXD2Len)=0 THEN

LOAD 

status,

result, 

filesattached

FROM [lib://Notification](qvx);

LET ErrorMode=1; exit Script;

ps: I've tried everyting: the THEN in the same line with the if..

everything in the same line

everything in the same line and ; after the then..

but no matter what I do; I'll have only the nofitication email sent; but I won't find the correct missing Dates !! I'll always find that the 4 dates are missing.. which is not true!

When I elminiate the call of the connector; and rexecute; I'll find the right result !:

Capture.PNG

I really am VERY CONFUSED! can you please help me with this? How should I write this condition??

Thanks !!

OmarBenSalem
Author

Let me answer..

I'm so confused

This works:

if $(vFXD1)='NULL' or $(vFXD2)='NULL'or $(vFXM)='NULL' or $(vFXMLen)=0 or $(vFXD1Len)=0 or $(vFXD2Len)=0 THEN

LOAD  status,  result,  filesattached FROM [lib://Notification](qvx);

//LET ErrorMode=1;

exit Script;

(ps: then is in the same line of the if condition)

When I eliminate the LET ErrorMode=1; it works (the notification is sent and the result in the table are correct)

BUT when I eliminate the load  LOAD  status,  result,  filesattached FROM [lib://Notification](qvx); statement,

=>

exit Script;

The script won't exit ! It will continue unless I add the LET ErrorMode=1;.....

Which is reaaaaaally confusing me ! on why it works with one thing to do; but should be eliminated when we'll do 2 things after the "then" key words??

And ps:

with one condition; then should be placed in a seperate line of the if condition

with 2 things (notification + exit)

then must be in the same line as the if... if it's not; it won't work..

Well, basically, I'm going crazy