Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
danielgargiulo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Qlik Sense Restrict Access to Expression Editor?

We are just trying to restrict the self-service functionality in Qlik Sense so a user can only create new charts and tables with the master measures and dimensions. The problem is in Edit mode a user has access to the ‘expression editor’ which gives access to all the fields in the data model, including hidden fields. Does anyone know a way to restrict this functionality?

18 Replies
rittermd
Master
Master

What exactly do you mean by expression editor?

Are you saying that if they click on the Fields icon that they can see all of the fields that have been defined in the load script and you don't want that?

danielgargiulo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

I mean there is the fx icon which expands the area where you can create and edit expressions. If this is still unclear i will load an image. With regards to the Fields icon etc we can get around this with hidden fields.

marcos-paixao
Contributor II
Contributor II

if you are using Qlik Sense Desktop the functionality could not be disabled. Otherwise, if you are running the app on a QMC Environement (Qlik Sense Server), you can disable the user editor using a Security Rule.

The links above will show you the referred documents about how to use Security Rules.

The expression editor cannot be disabled. I suggest you to use master items for the user expression and disable the master items editing for the users.

Best Regards,

danielgargiulo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Marcos. Thank you for the response. To confirm we are working with Qlik Sense Enterprise. Are you able to confirm what you mean by the 'user editor'? Is this the button that allows a user to edit a sheet?

I am also keen to understand what you mean by ' use master items for the user expression and disable the master items editing for the users.' Are you able to expand on this further?

thanks again.

dan

marcos-paixao
Contributor II
Contributor II

Yes, is the button "Edit" for the interface.

The master items is the best practice to let the users use Measures and Dimensions without creating any expression. By this way, the user can duplicate a sheet and then edit it without the use of the Expression Editor (fx) and with not Load Script.

Hope this can help.

danielgargiulo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hi Marcos.

Your comment, included again below, is exactly what i am trying to achieve. However from what i can see there is no way to make master items available for people to use without them having access to the 'edit' button to edit sheets and when in edit mode the expression editor(fx). Am I missing something?

"The master items is the best practice to let the users use Measures and Dimensions without creating any expression. By this way, the user can duplicate a sheet and then edit it without the use of the Expression Editor (fx) and with not Load Script."

Thanks,

dan

marcos-paixao
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Dan,

you might be right, just because the "Edit" button is the entrance for the visual elements.

I think there's no security rule for this as well...

danielgargiulo
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

thanks for confirming. I will keep trying and update if we find a solution.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Did you find a solution?

What I'm looking for, it's to disable the possibility, for users, to modify the master measures. User can't have the possibilty to see the expression.