Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Named CAL license lease doubt.

Hi!

Will a license lease depend upon the System the user is logging when the server identifies the user by User ID?

Noted that the User is assigned a Named CAL.

Thanks and Regards,

-Karthik

17 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Ok.Then how would you download the file when opening it in client from server?

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Provided the server is configured as I mentioned above, getting to the Accesspoint portal, selecting "Download" from the dropdown list that appears when clicking on the down arrow icon at the right of the name of the file, in the top part of the thumbnail.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Miguel Angel Baeyens wrote:
All assignments in SBE are done in the form DOMAIN\Username. If the user is logged as DOMAIN\Username, or even if in the Start Page of the Desktop application, Open in Server, the user is specified in this form (although it's different to the logged user, but valid in the system and corresponding to a license assigned in the System). That will allow the server to lease, unless the license is already in use (opened in a different computer, for example). <div>
That means that if you are using Desktop in your computer, connected to the server, with your user using a leased license, and without closing the Desktop you go to another computer, and open the same or another document as your same user, you will not be allowed, since the allocation is assigned and the license in use.
Just close the Desktop application in the first computer and you can lease in the second.
Only in the case your user is not going to use any longer QlikView, then you don't need to remove and reassign the license.
In regards to the History table, as I'm seeing it in the QlikView Enterprise Management Console, System, Licenses, Server, History, that shows the logged user with assigned licensed, the machine from which the user is accessing, and the time, UTC when he last used the license (logged to the QlikView Server). </div>
There's not, as far as I know (we are leasing from Server 10 to Desktop 9 and viceversa). Anyway, update all clients and server to the latest possile version. Check the Release Notes in any case to have a comprehensive list of bugs corrected in each version and revision. Ask for this document if you don't have access to it to your QlikTech partner or sales rep.

Hi Miguel,

The above is the comprehensive answer for my question from you. Is there any document/ manual/ url you can provide which explains this clearly? It is not that I have not understood you, but to have a source of authentication to show to someone.

Thanks a ton!

Regards,

-Karthik G

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hello Karthik,

The closest source (and more reliable) is the Server Reference Manual itself. You can download it in the Download section of the Support menu above.

The experience does the rest.

Regards.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Miguel,

In one of the comments above (http://community.qlik.com/message/106711#106711), you mentioned that, if the same user tries to login from two different systems without logging out of either of them, QlikView should not allow login on the second system. However, I am observing a different behaviour.

If a user is logged on via a AJAX client (browser) from System A & simultaneously tries to login via a AJAX client (browser) from System B, QlikView allows the second login. It just gives a "Lost connection" popup when the user accesses report in any of the systems. Is this correct? Is there anyway to prevent the second login and show an error message instead?

Thanks for all the support

Regards,

Venkat

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

I'll answer this one for Miguel. He wasn't talking about a user accessing the server twice from different locations, he was talking about leasing a license for development from two different locations.

The behaviour you're seeing is the correct one and I don't think there is a way to avoid that.

Not applicable
Author

Daniel,

Thanks! Since we require the above mentioned functionality of disallowing multiple logins by the same user from a different browser/system (i know it sounds bizzare, but I can't help ),  I am planning to modify the default websever code of QlikView as follows:

Conver the static HTML pages to ASPX, all pages inheriting from a common base class. This base class will then check for duplicate logins. Active sessions/logins will be stored in a database.

Is there any reference implementation of such a hook in the login process of QlikView IIS Server? What do you think of this approach?

Thanks.

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

If I would have to do something like that I'd try to avoid messing things up that are already there.

Maybe you can build a simple ASP.NET page that will check if there is already a session open for that user and if there is not, forward him to the standard Access Point, or display a message.

This will not deal with people accessing reports with the direct link but it's a start.