Skip to main content
Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to get average total, count per month?

I am trying to plot the average transaction count and total value per calendar month (e.g., we average 20 transactions, and $100M, in September each year) in a bar chart from a table that has the date and value of each transaction. 

Say I have the following table that has the date and value of each transaction (only showing transactions from last and current September for simplicity):

Date, Value

9/1/16, 100.00

9/2/16, 200.00 

9/1/17, 300.00

9/2/17, 400.00 

With this data, we average 2 transactions, and $250.00, each September.

I created a master dimension on calendar month ([Txn Month]), which is just Jan, Feb, Mar, etc.

I added a bar chart.

I set the dimension to [Txn Month].  I don't know how to express either measure.  Based on what I found on this forum, I tried using

Avg(Aggr(Sum([Value]), [Txn Month]))

Avg(Aggr(Count([Value]), [Txn Month]))

but nothing shows up in the bar chart other than the [Txn Month] axis dimension values. (No bars show up for either measure.)  I tried adding just the Aggr() expressions to tables to see what was in there, but nothing displayed.

Any ideas?

Thanks

2 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Do you see the total value for the month when just using

=Sum(Value)

? If not, you need to check your data model and data (e.g. Value needs to be interpreted as number when reading in).

For your averages, try

=Sum(Value) / Count(Value )

=Count(Value) / Count(DISTINCT Monthstart(Date) )

Instead of Monthstart(Date) (which also only works when Date is interpreted as date showing a dual value with a numeric part), you can use any field that represents a unique Month & Year combination.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Buddy , i modified your code to

=Sum(Value) / Count(DISTINCT Monthstart(Date) )

for calculating the average , and it worked perfectly.

would you please give me an idea to do the calculation of the min and max basd on the date?