Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sankey Diagram, handling nulls

I am trying to develop a Sankey diagram in QlikSense for patient flow in a clinical trial.  I am using the extension here.

Here is a sample of my data.  This data does not work

MySankeyData:

LOAD * INLINE [

'Node1','Node2','Node3','MyCount'

'Screened','Enrolled','Completed','4'

'Screened','Enrolled','Discontinued','1'

'Screened','Enrolled','','1'

'Screened','','Failed','2'

];

The subject in the third line is still active and so I can easily enough enter 'Active' in node 3.  But I cannot handle the null in the fourth line.  I can transform the data to this....

MySankeyData:

LOAD * INLINE [

'Screened','Enrolled','Active','1'

'Screened','null','Failed','2'

];

And this gives me the following diagram...

sankey.jpg

But the term 'null' in node 2 is obviously not what I want.

I have tried:

'Screened','','Failed','2'

'Screened',,'Failed','2'

'Screened','Failed','','2'  - (which would move the 'Failed' to the second node, not ideal but the diagram would have to terminate here to be meaningful and the null in node3 does not work)

etc,

So I am hoping someone can help me with how to handle the nulls.

As an aside, the Sankey diagrams for QlikView seem to operate effortlessly from a concatenated path flow.  Witness this video from Dalton Reuer (skip to 2:34 in the video).  But the Sense apps seem to require each node defined as a dimension.  Why is this?  Is there something I am doing wrong in my data prep?

Thanks in advance.

3 Replies
Gysbert_Wassenaar

I'd replace the string 'null' with something like 'N/A' or 'unknown' or 'missing' or 'no data'. If you don't want that you can something like this:

set NullInterpret =;

MySankeyData:

LOAD * INLINE [

'Screened','Enrolled','','1'

'Screened', ,'Failed','2'

];

talk is cheap, supply exceeds demand
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hey, Did you get a solution to this problem? I am facing something similar and I would want that those null records should be shown moving directly to failed on level 3 from screenboard.

Kindly help if you have found the solution to it

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

I did not get a solution that was acceptable to me.  Gysbert's solution was the best I could do.  Its been a while since I looked at this so it is possible the projects for QlikSense has evolved a bit.