Date               Enrollment Count          State     Tehsil

01/09/2011     12                                  X          a

?01/09/2011     13                                  X          b

01/09/2011     11                                  Y         c

01/09/2011      19                                 Y         d

02/09/2011      15                                 X          a

02/09/2011      17                                 X          b

02/09/2011       13                                Y          c

02/09/2011       14                                Y          d.

This goes on....

Wish 1:

I would like to plot a chart with x axis as date, y axis as sum of enrollment count. For dates which the data exist, it should give the actual values. For future dates, it should forecast the values. The forecast can be a regression line, or an average of the last fifteen days.

Wish 2:

I have a list box, which would enlist the state. If I select a particular state(say X), then the above chart should reflect the actual and forecast data for that particular state.

Similarly, I have a list box which enlists the tehsil. I should be able to select a particular tehsil and get its corresponding actual and forecast data.

Any help/suggestions would be appreciated.

Regards,

Rajiv

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

Ok, thanks. Here it is.

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Would a trend line be OK for the forecasting or do you need something rather more sophisticated? I've not used them much but I believe there are several to choose from at the bottom of the chart Expression tab. If so, then just a standard chart with Date as the dimension and Sum([Enrollment Count]) should do the trick.

Hope this helps,

Jason

Not applicable
Author

Hi Jason,

The trendline option at the bottom of the expression tab gives the trend only for the dates for which data exist. Is there anyway to get these trendlines to go ahead and plot for future dates(dates for which data does not exist) too?

Regards,

Rajiv

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Qlikview do not gererate data. In General we make forecasting data and use that with Actual Data for comparison.

If you check the forecast checkbox in AXIS tab you will see the trendline little long which is forecast but no dimension or expression value will be shown.

Reg,

Shubhu

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

>>Qlikview do not gererate data.

Correct. But I'm sure we can make it generate data based on past data.

>> In General we make forecasting data and use that with Actual Data for comparison.

We make forecasting data.. How do you do that in qlikview. Thats what I was asking in the question above.

>>If you check the forecast checkbox in AXIS tab you will see the trendline little long which is forecast but no dimension or expression value will be shown.

Checking the forecast checkbox in AXIS tab is not giving any forecast. Not sure why.

Jason_Michaelides
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

A quick search on the community found this:

http://community.qlik.com/message/2023#2023

It suggests looking at the linest_xxxx functions in QlikView.  I'm not statistician so it's all greek to me but might help?

Jason

Not applicable
Author

How about letting QV generate new data in the load script with a concatenated resident load where the date is generated for the coming 14 days - wouln't that solve both wishes?

Regards Robert.

Not applicable
Author

Hi Robert,

Could you give a sample app on how you intend to do it, on the data provided above??

Regards,

Rajiv

Not applicable
Author

I've done a document that seems to work, but how do I attach it to this thread? I can only attach images and videos in this editor??

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Robert,

When adding or editing the post, click on the "Use advanced editor" in the right upper part of the text editor. In the lower part of the new dialog you will see the "Add File" button.

Regards.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica