Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

How to compress the entire time series chart to fit one single view?

HI,

I have a time series line chart which has 100k+ values plotted. Due to high frequency of data, the chart grows on x-axis and scroller is configured to appear in order to see the entire series. This is not what is required.

I want to plot the entire time series visibile to the user at once therefore no scroller. I have attached a sample. Please the middle two charts. I want to plot the charts just like or very much like the two in the middle of the attached image.

In plain English, i want to compress the entire time series chart in one single view. That is i could see entire time series at a glance.

Question is, is this possible in QV? If yes, than how do i do it?

I would appreciate your help in this regard.

Thanks,

Sibtain

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The first thing you should do, is to check "Continuous Axis" (Chart Properties -> Axes -> Dimension Axis). This will squeeze all data points into the graph.

Further, your x-axis is time, but there is really no reason always to show milliseconds (or what it is you show). Instead you can create a drill-down group (Document properties -> Groups) from e.g. Date, Hour, Minute, Second and use this as dimension in the chart. You will probably then also need to change your expression to either Max(Value), Min(Value) or Avg(Value), depending on what you want to see.

HIC

View solution in original post

10 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

The first thing you should do, is to check "Continuous Axis" (Chart Properties -> Axes -> Dimension Axis). This will squeeze all data points into the graph.

Further, your x-axis is time, but there is really no reason always to show milliseconds (or what it is you show). Instead you can create a drill-down group (Document properties -> Groups) from e.g. Date, Hour, Minute, Second and use this as dimension in the chart. You will probably then also need to change your expression to either Max(Value), Min(Value) or Avg(Value), depending on what you want to see.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Thanks HIC ! I got what wanted.

Not applicable
Author

Hi HIC - is this possible in QlikSense? I see a compressed version of the graph in the mini-graph below the X-axis, but would like to see that fill the entire graph.

Thanks!

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

No, it is not (yet) possible. But we are working on it... 

There are a number of challenges here. For instance, in the following graph, you will see a value per date:

Image1.png

First of all, just compressing the axis wouldn't do the job. If you have too many dates, you could have several fluctuations within one pixel of the axis, and then the graph would just be one blurry, wide band. So you would need some intelligence as to how it should be compressed.

The answer is probably to show one number per week (or bi-week, month, bi-month, quarter, year, decade, century) instead of one number per date. So we would like Qlik Sense to have a smart way of automatically changing the x-axis to the appropriate granularity.

Then there is the question of what number to show. In some cases, it is simply the sum. In other cases, you probably want to have something similar to a stock plot that shows multiple values; like opening value, max value, min value, and closing value for the period.

I don't know what you will get or when you will get it, but I can tell you that we are working on solving this in a good way.

HIC

Not applicable
Author

Thanks HIC - why not just show the graph exactly as it is in the thumbnail version below the chart but don't show every data point on the x-axis? So the Qlik plot:

QlikPlot.PNG

Becomes:

Compressed.PNG

Isn't that pretty standard time-series plotting? This is showing "Avg" but it's really just an average of one value at each point in the series.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

You're right that in your case it would make sense to do exactly what you suggest. And this is not yet possible in Qlik Sense. One reason is that the concept of "Continuous Axis" is missing. (We have this in QlikView, though.) Without the Continuous Axis the chart would show incorrect intervals between the dates when some are missing.

But also this would not be correct in all cases. Showing the average within each pixel would cut out fluctuations that are smaller than the pixel. The example with stock prices is a good one: To show the average stock price for a specific day will obscure the fact that the price may have been a lot higher during parts of the day. So we want a solution that can meet also more advanced requirements.

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hello Henric,

I can see this is an older post, where you say you are working on a solution.

Has a solution been developed and implemented? And if so, could you guide me to it?

Thank you.

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Yes, just search for "time aware charts". Time-Aware feature has made it to the bar and the combo charts

HIC

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Hi Henric,

Thank you for the swift reply.

Does the feature only work with date/time as a dimension?

In my particular case, I'm interested in "zooming out" on a line chart of an ABC analysis where the dimension is the article no.

Thank you.