Did you mean: 
akuttler
Creator
Creator

% increase from last month

Hello,

I have an expression for total payments :

(Sum({<Account={'2000','2001','2002','2003'}>}Trans))*-1

How would I create a measure for % increase in payments from previous month?

I want this to be rolling dates as I load new data every month. So I want...(total for last month-total for current month)/ Total for last month).

26 Replies
akuttler
Creator
Creator
Author

The Current month total works: Sum({<Account = {'2000','2001','2002','2003'}, TransactionDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate)), 'MM/DD/YYYY') & '<' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate), 1), 'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>}Trans)

So how would I alter it to represent last month total?

the expression below gives me null

Above(Sum({<Account = {'2000','2001','2002','2003'}, TransactionDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate), -1), 'MM/DD/YYYY') & '<' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate)), 'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>}Trans)) - 1

sunny_talwar

Let me ask you this? Are you using this in a chart or text box object? If this is in a chart, what all dimensions do you have?

akuttler
Creator
Creator
Author

Text object.

sunny_talwar

Hahahaha, try this (without Above())

Sum({<Account = {'2000','2001','2002','2003'}, TransactionDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate)), 'MM/DD/YYYY') & '<' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate), 1), 'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>}Trans)/

Sum({<Account = {'2000','2001','2002','2003'}, TransactionDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate), -1), 'MM/DD/YYYY') & '<' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate)), 'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}>}Trans) - 1

akuttler
Creator
Creator
Author

Yes! thank you I tried to do the -1 but it didn't work for some reason. here's the kicker...I have a month year filter...so when i select a month, the current month total updates accordingly, but the previous month total goes to zero...why is that?

sunny_talwar

What is the name of your month year field?

lfholland
Creator
Creator

Try this.  This will sum your "Trans" for the month of July since this month is August.  If you wanted June, the number in the first "addmonths" piece would be -3 and the number in the second "addmonths" piece would be -2 and so forth.  For a trailing 12 months, the number in the first "addmonths" piece would be -12 and the number in the second one would stay a -1.  For 12 months before that, -24 and -13, etc. etc.  Hope this helps.

=sum({$<Year={"<=$(=Max(Year))"}, MonthName={">=$(=addmonths(today(), -2)) <=$(=addmonths(today(), -1))"},Account={'2000','2001','2002','2003'}>}Trans)

akuttler
Creator
Creator
Author

its a dimension: 'MonthYear' =Date(MonthStart(TransactionDate), 'MMMM YYYY')

sunny_talwar

Do this in the script to create a new field and then use that as your filter.

Date(MonthStart(TransactionDate), 'MMMM YYYY') as MonthYear

and then use this expression

Sum({<Account = {'2000','2001','2002','2003'}, TransactionDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate)), 'MM/DD/YYYY') & '<' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate), 1), 'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}, MonthYear>}Trans)/

Sum({<Account = {'2000','2001','2002','2003'}, TransactionDate = {"$(='>=' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate), -1), 'MM/DD/YYYY') & '<' & Date(MonthStart(Max(TransactionDate)), 'MM/DD/YYYY'))"}, MonthYear>}Trans) - 1

lfholland
Creator
Creator

Oh, "MonthName" is our field for Month/Year.  You would need to replace that with your "TransactionDate" field, I believe.