Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

A couple of newbie questions

Hi, I started using Qlikview about a week ago.  I am looking for the following information

but have not been able to find it in either the reference manuals or from a google search.

Wondering if anyone else has tried this and can provide some pointers.  Basically I have

two questions....

1. Does Qlikview's Java API provide access to data in the qvd files (or qvw files) - (with

gettters maybe)?

2. If the answer to the above question is no then is there a command line utility to dump/export the

data in qvd file to a csv file?

I am looking for a way to be able to compare data in the qvd file to data from a different

source.  And since the it happens to be a large number of records it is not practical

for me to launch Qlikview and export the files one at a time to csv.

Thanks.

5 Replies
rwunderlich
Partner Ambassador/MVP
Partner Ambassador/MVP

There is no public interface, java or command line, to read data directly from a qvd.

-Rob

Not applicable
Author

can you load the other datasource in qlikview ? if so, you could compare the data in qlikview.

depends on the data, how difficult this will be.

Not applicable
Author

you can load the qvd file in Qlikview and use the store command.

store * from mytable into myfile.txt (txt);

From a practical point of view, what are you really trying to accomplish?

Look up the For Each statement to understand how you could loop all the qvd files on disk.

// list all QV related files on disk

sub DoDir (Root)

for each Ext in 'qvw', 'qva', 'qvo', 'qvs'

for each File in filelist (Root&' \*.' &Ext)

Load '$(File)' as Name, FileSize( '$(File)' ) as

Size, FileTime( '$(File)' ) as FileTime

autogenerate 1;

next File

next Ext

for each Dir in dirlist (Root&' \*' )

call DoDir (Dir)

next Dir

end sub

call DoDir ('C:')

Not applicable
Author

Thanks for your replies.  I am trying to do this (maybe) the hard way.  I would like refrain from launching the QlikView gui at all.  I want to be able to dump the contents of the qvw file into a csv file either from the command line or from another program (Java or C++) .  I have no control over the macros etc in the qvw file so I cannot put anything in the file to do the export.  Besides, I have not programmed in VBScript.  I would prefer a Java (or C++) solution for this task if at all possible.  Btw I am using ver 9 of QlikView.

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

rbecher
MVP
MVP

Now we have a Java lib to read QVD files:

http://tiqview.tumblr.com/post/26630334356/qlikview-data-integration-in-a-java-world-with-qvx

- Ralf

Astrato.io Head of R&D