cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
soton34
Contributor III
Contributor III

Counting Order Values

I know I am missing something simple here but I just can't see what it is....

I am trying to analyse the invoice and order values that we process to identify where we should set our minimum order value.

To do this I have created the variable OrderTotalValue aggr(SUM(SALE),ORD) 

SALE is the value of the order line and ORD is the order number itself.

This variable gives me positive results elsewhere so I am trusing that it works (my first mistake?)

But if I ask it to split the order values as <=£1000 and >£1000 they do not add up to the total.

For example:

<=£1000: =SUM(IF(INVOICEDATE>='FromDate' and INVOICEDATE<='ToDate' and $(OrderTotalValue)<=1000,$(TotalOrderValue))) : £4,087,803

>£1000: =SUM(IF(INVOICEDATE>='FromDate' and INVOICEDATE<='ToDate' and $(OrderTotalValue)>1000,$(TotalOrderValue))) : £1,482,852

But the total of all sales between FromDate and ToDate is £6,323,919

Using the count function seems to work:

<=£1000: =COUNT(DISTINCT(IF(INVOICEDATE>='FromDate' and INVOICEDATE<='ToDate' and $(OrderTotalValue)<=1000,ORD)) : 17665

>£1000: =COUNT(DISTINCT(IF(INVOICEDATE>='FromDate' and INVOICEDATE<='ToDate' and $(OrderTotalValue)>1000,ORD)) : 1555

Total Number of orders between FromDate and ToDate is 19220

Can you see where I am going wrong?

Any assistance is greatfully received

4 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi,

in above example, is there a difference between variables TotalOrderValue and OrderTotalValue? You use both in your expression (or is it just a typo in your posting?).

Where do you use these expressions? In a table / chart  with dimensions or as a expresion in a textbox?

I think it would be best if you could upload a small example file, if possible.

Regards,

Stefan

soton34
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Stefan

Many thanks for your reply.

You are correct.  A slight typo.  They should all be OrderTotalValue (it is correct in my variables and expressions)

I was trying to build a chart/table showing the value of orders within a range and the % of total company sales.  This would help to identify where we are 'wasting' effort on small value orders.

I started with a simple distinction of > or < £1000 to test the theory.

Ultimately I could use distinct textboxes to demonstrate the result.

I'm sorry but I wouldn't know where to start with uploading a sample.  Have I supplied sufficient information for a result?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi,

you could upload a sample in advanced editor (follow the link on upper right of your editor window) or by editing an existing post.

I created a small one as example, please check if this comes close to your problem, we could then use mine to discuss your problem, if you want (or upload a corrected one).

I tried implementing you variable and compared the partial sums (for < 100 and > 100) with the total sum.

In my example, I don't see a difference, so I think my example is not exactely like your setting.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

soton34
Contributor III
Contributor III
Author

Stefan -

Your advice has inadvertantly helped me.

I tried to create a small QV document with a limited amount of the data to supply to you as a sample.

This highlighted that there was an area of the load script that was incorrect and was not including all of the ORD numbers,

Once I had amended the script the problem has gone away.

Many thanks for your persistent assistance.

Regards

Sam