Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

IE Plugin stopped working

I have a user that has been using the IE Plugin for a long time.  The other day it started showing as inactive in the access point; inactive meaning that the option to use this client was grayed out.  I tried a bunch of things with his computer including rebooting, checking his browser security settings to make sure ActiveX Controls were allowed and uninstalling and then reinstalling the latest plugin release.  None of these things helped at the time and then he came into work the next day and it just started working again.  Then a few hours into the work day it stopped working again.  He is using IE8 on a Windows XP laptop against a Qlikview 10 SR1 server.  The plugin version I had him download and install was version 9 SR7 which appears to be the very latest one.  I’m wide open for suggestions on what to try.  Are there any settings or switches someone can recommend to me?  Any home remedies?

Labels (1)
9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi,

Rather than the plugin try downloading a copy of the personal edition onto his computer.  That seems to have worked for us.  Previously I've had both the plugin and the local client installed but now I just have the local client.

Hope that works.

Cheers,

Emma

Not applicable
Author

Hello Emma

Thank you for your response; I hadn't thought of abandoning the web clients altogether.  Can I conclude that the functionality you are referencing is the "Open in Server" option within the desktop client?  I wouldn't want to give the user direct access to the qvw.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

First of all, I'd recommend you to install if possible the latest version of QlikView Server (10 SR3 update1 build 9061), but in any case, have the same verison of browser, that is the same as the Server, only that now the QlikView IE Plugin is no longer available as a separate download. You can find it in the folder

C:\Program Files\QlikViewServer10\Server\QlikViewClients\QlikViewPlugin

Or wherever your Server software is installed.

You can either allow users to download the plugin from the Accesspoint in the QEMC, System, Setup, QlikView Web Servers, AccessPoint tab and check Plugin download Show Link. This will download the MSI file that installs the same version of Plugin the Server is running.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Not applicable
Author

Miguel

Thanks for the response.  We have a "download IE Plugin" link that automatically shows in the top right of our Access Point.  Can I conclude that this will install the version of the IE Plugin that matches the server install?  If so, that was the first thing I had hte user do; uninstall IE Plugin and then use this link to reinstall.  It's also helpful to know where the plugin install file is located, thank you.

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Yes, when you install the Server, by default and unless you uncheck that, the same version of Desktop and Plugin are installed. The server then allows you in the QEMC to enable that link so any user with permissions (or the IT people instead of having a USB) can download and install it.

Hope that helps.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I don't encourage users to actually open the files and tend not to mention the open in server route (they can't directly open files written by others if they only have the personal edition) I would recommend using Access Point instead.  If you have the personal edition loaded you seem to automatically get the plugin as well and so you can select the plugin view rather than the ajax view when viewing documents here.

Having said that ... I didn't know about allowing users to download the plugin through access point.  Many thanks to Miguel for a very useful bit of information! 🙂  I'd go with his suggestion and upgrade your server to the latest version and then download the matching up to date plugin.

However much we were told that V9 was "fully backward compatible" anyone with V8.5 plugin or earlier gradually had the plugin simply stop working.  Very frustrating, but by uninstalling the old version and installing the new matching version of the plugin that seemed to solve the problems.

Hope this all works.

Miguel - many thanks for very useful info about the plugin download!

Emma

Not applicable
Author

Emma, I'd like to explore the functionality around the desktop client and it's effect on the IE Plugin that you mention.  Are you saying that just having the desktop client installed on a computer will enable the IE Plugin in the Access Point?  I'm not saying I'd want to do this but it does make an interesting temporary solution if needed.  Also, just as a note, the open in server option does allow you to open others' qvw files on the server even if it is only running as personal edition.  It just doesn't allow you to edit properties of objects.

Miguel, unfortunately, upgrading my production environment right now is not an option.  I hope to be able to do it soon because I agree with you and Emma that doing so is the overall right thing to do.  There is at least a decent chance this will fix the issue but I am unable to test it because this is all happening in production.

Not applicable
Author

Hi - yep, IE plugin with be enabled in Access Point if you install the desktop client.  I know about the open in server route, I just perfer not to offer that to our end users too much.  If you have an enterprise server and allow licence lease it will validate their personal edition into a full version so that they can then open the files directly (not through the open in server any more) and unless you've locked down the access to scripts etc. they will be able to make all sorts of changes.  A lesson I've learned when someone tried to be helpful and managed to break several files by causing one to crash with some bad scripting!

Hope all this works in the end!

Cheers,

Emma

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi there,

What the Desktop can help is to get the license properly, when the plugin does not. Anyway, the plugin will lease a license as well if the credentials are set up right (clicking on Use Alternate Identity and using the DOMAIN\USERNAME form for a user that has a license assigned but it's not using it in either Desktop, Plugin or Ajax).

Basically, the Desktop using "Open In Server" and the Plugin are the same, hence the WYSIWYG of the layout, the menu, preferences and so on.

Anyway, it's always recommended to avoid unexpected results to have running Server and Desktop and Plugin all in the same version. Allowing users to download the latest version of Plugin in the QEMC will allow you to make sure you are always up to date with the Server you have installed.

Hope that makes sense.

Miguel Angel Baeyens

BI Consultant

Comex Grupo Ibérica