Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Extranet Server - Pros / Cons / Best practices?

Dear all,

I've  searched the forum for a while but couldn't really find much information about the extranet server. Does anybody have some experiences with this kind of QV server? At best, I would be interested in somekind of best practice regarding data source access and internal / external user access configuration.

I understood so far that the extranet server could be run stand alone or in combination with an internal EE / SBE server. The extranet server will be located in the DMZ and is capable of only holding session or usage CALS. It is said the extranet server is based upon the EE server, but will only support up to 3 documents. I am not sure what "bases upon" is saying in this context, or what the exact limitations are.

And, maybe more confusing, the pricing guidelines further say:

"There will be a choice to use the AJAX client or a customized AJAX client via QlikView Workbench. QlikView Workbench is included in the Extranet Server"

So there is no AJAX client support out of the box? The extranet server brochure available for download implies that there is support, but I am not sure.

I assume one doesn't want to run the scripts in the DMZ, opening the firewall for data source access. So a standard setting would probably include a second EE or SBE server in the intranet which is doing the back end part and then the applications will be put on to the extranet server? Or does anybody have a  different approach here?

Somebody told me that also the Publisher is needed  for communication between extranet and intranet QV server. Not sure why, though. Maybe he was just referring to the extranet server brochure, where an image may imply that. I usually regard these images more as simplifying marketing than correct technical information, but again, not sure.

Are there any major CONs regarding using an extranet server in combination with an internal SBE? Or is there an absolutely convincing PRO for using a extranet server in combination with an internal EE?

The limitation of 3 documents seems pretty hard to me, does anybode have some experiences here? I assume the license management would probably not allow to share user licenses across multiple extranet servers (which are needed for more than 3 documents), right?

I appreciate any input, also with regard to allowing access to QV for external customers / partners in general.

Best regards,

Stefan

21 Replies
danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Sorry Stefan, I haven't done any work or testing over that server. I believe it should be possible, if you give me a few hours I can try testing that later on today.

Regards

swuehl
MVP
MVP
Author

That (i.e. first hand experience) would be fabulous!

I really appreciate your help on that!

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Sorry Stefan, just looked at the license at it says

DISABLE_COLLABORATION;YES;;

So, no collaboration in QES.

swuehl
MVP
MVP
Author

Daniel,

thanks for the info, appreciate.

Maybe you could just confirm: collaboration is the feature which is needed to modify the sheet objects (and share the modifications, but that would be maybe an additional requested feature, so if only the modification via IE plugin would work, that would be better than nothing)?

Regards,

Stefan

danielrozental
Master II
Master II

Stefan, Collaboration, regardless of the client you're using, allows you to create and share server objects and sheets.

Without that feature then there is no possible modification or creation of objects nor sheets.

If you have a specific business scenario where you would need collaboration and a qlikview extranet server then you should probably talk to your closest qlikview commercial contact and see if you can work a deal out.

swuehl
MVP
MVP
Author

Thanks again, Daniel.

sr_qlikview
Creator
Creator

Stefan,

Our requirement is to give access to reports for users escaping firewall. I found out QES might be helpful. As i see this is very old post, i believe you might have gained knowledge and experience using this. Can you please help me where to start like installation steps and those con's you mentioned are still valid or any documents explains in detail.

Thank you for your time

swuehl
MVP
MVP
Author

sr_qlikview,

sorry to tell you that we finally haven't used the QES for that project at all, for one reason:

Licensing. My customer intended to build some kind of service for his customers using the QES, which wasn't allowed by QT license terms. He would need to get an OEM license for that (I am telling here the status as of end of 2011, no idea if that's applicable to today's situation and / or license situation in another region).

We initially got an information from our partner rep that the customers request should be possible using QES, so we unfortunately spent some time in investigating this approach.

Regarding server installation, I think there is no explicite documentation for QES, it's a standard server installation, then QES feature set will be determined by license key.

IMHO, the more important and delicate thing will be to setup the supporting IT infrastructure (firewalls, application transports (data access) etc.).

Regards,

Stefan

naziralala
Creator
Creator

Hello All,

Is the restriction of 3 documents removed?

Kindly confirm..

rospigliosi
Creator
Creator

Hi,

I'm also looking for a confirm, bu by tests I've done, this limitation seems  to be removed on versione 11.20 SR12