Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
picturebox
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator

Using MacBook Air and the IE Plug-In

Hello,

our entire application runs via IE plug in. One of the users we have would like to use his MacBook Air. He was asking if any other browser other than IE would be able to run the plug-in. We are currently using 9 SR 7.  Can anyone advise what the best solution would be? We do not at the moment support any AJAX application.

Thanks for your help in advance,
Petra

Labels (1)
11 Replies
jvitantonio
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

No, if you don't have AJAX you  will need to install the IE plug in. And it's only for IE

picturebox
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

mmmh yes, figured as much. Any experience with using ie and the plugin on an Air?

jvitantonio
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

No, sorry. It's a matter of downloading it and test how it works

Not applicable

Not really sure what the question is, but from what I can tell its not exactly a hardware issue provided you install IE on the laptop in some way or you can access the app from other browsers on the Mac - e.g. Safari, Firefox or Chrome. If you insist on IE well Macbook Airs are Intel processor based so you just figure out how to get Windows onto it. For example if you don't want to dual boot Windows from a bootcamp partition, then

Install Windows within a Virtual machine - e.g. VMWare fusion / Parallels or Virtualbox amongst others and browse from there. You can "merge" the Win/Mac desktops if you want so it feels almost seamless - i.e. IE use almost feels like a Mac app. You'll need some extra RAM for this so I hope user bought a 4GB Macbook.

One of the most common apps run on WINE on Mac is likely IE, so figure out how to install IE on Wine and you're set. Not too scary but some command line skills might be good. Check out something like: http://davidbaumgold.com/tutorials/wine-mac/ for a fair start.

There's also a related commercial version called CrossOver - see www.codeweavers.com

If your user just wants to run IE on Mac maybe this ...  http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/33367/winebottler is an elegant one piece solution.

If you want to avoid all this and its on a LAN then find an unused Windows PC and setup remote desktop support to it and use the Mac Win RDP client and use the remote PC to do the IE browsing.

I mean I run a Macbook Air on Snow Leopard and happily use Firefox as a web browser even for those sites that are very IE specific in 99% of cases. I run QV 10 personal edition in a Win 7 virtual machine on it, so can't comment on QV specific Ajax from Mac browsers but I have worked with developers who created websites using many Ajax features and I've tested them just fine on the same laptop from Firefox and Safari.

Not sure which IE plugin you mean, but on Firefox 7 mac I can see IE view lite 1.35 which looks promising. You just need to give it a path to the IE install - could be bit of fun to do on a Mac but try see if you share/map the folder containing Iexplore.exe (assuming its available while running a background Windows VM on the Mac) and see how that works from the IE view prefs. There's also a plugin called IE netrenderer 0.97 - may do something similar.

Have lots of fun,

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

Hi,

The user should use the Ajax client.

The best set in this case would be an upgrade to QV 10 SR2 or above to get the best Ajax interface availabl.e

Hope this helps,

Erich

picturebox
Partner - Creator
Partner - Creator
Author

Hello,

thank you for your answers.  @Erich, we will not be supporting an Ajax client for at least 6 months to come, but thanks for the note.

I will let my client have some info on running a VM and some other options, and he can play aorund with it if he feels so inclined. Unfortunately, I cannot offer him support other than seeing if someone has any ideas, which you have graciously supplied me with. Thanks!

Best Regards,

Petra

erichshiino
Partner - Master
Partner - Master

In version 9, you should be able to try the java client. Although, the interface will be very limited

suniljain
Master
Master

Hi Petra,

Did you got  solution for this issue ?. we are facing export to issue on Macbook Air.

suniljain
Master
Master

Hi Petra,

Did you got  solution for this issue ?. we are facing export to issue on Macbook Air.