Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Passing data between two tables (after calculation)

Hi,

I'm looking for a way to pass data into a new table/chart based on an on-the fly calculation in another table.

Assuming I have a fruit basket:

FRUITS:

Apple

Banana

Pear

Orange

Kiwi

Plum

* CATEGORY  OF FRUITS:

Cat 1

Cat 2

Cat 3

Cat 4

Cat 1

Cat 1

* I will  assign a category calculated in an expression to all of them.

This is  for example based on price clusters:

if the  price is below 1 USD/per piece, then assign to Cat 1 and so on in pre-set  clusters.

Now, I would like to count and group the CATEGORY OF FRUITS to show the count in the clusters:

CATEGORY  OF FRUITS:

Cat 1

Cat 2

Cat 3

Cat 4

Count of  FRUITS:

My issue is that when inserting the calculation from the expression (in the first table) as dimension (in the second table), I get an error message since it doesn't know the source (which fruit categories exist based on FRUITS) of the calculation.

The target solution should show the grouping and the count of the fruits in the defined cluster.

Is there:

A)     a way to pass the data in the first table to the second

B)     anyother meaningful way to solve the issue

PS: It is important to keep the functionality to have the calculation of the clusters in the presented way and be done on-the-fly.

Thanks.

Gerard

2 Replies
IAMDV
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Gerard,

Is there:

A)     a way to pass the data in the first table to the second

Answering this question, have you explored using Indirect Analysis? I had similar requirement in the past and I have got it working using Indirect Analysis. I am attaching a Set Analysis tutorial which contains Indirect Analysis. Using this approach you can pass the data from Table1 to Table2 on the fly and also considering the selections in Table1 (If any).

I hope this helps!

Cheers - DV

Not applicable
Author

Hi DV,

Thanks for your answer.

I have tried your way without success so far.

Included a QV where I show the base table, the intented outcome.

Based on your comment, one should be able to "read" into the initial table and group and count.

In my scenario, I can not use the direct way (as shown in intented outcome).

Any ideas how I can tackle this issue.

Thanks

Gerard