Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Visualize time series

I would like to create a time series chart in a new tab which is semi-dependent on drill-down in a previous chart. The previous tab drills-down as Category>Subcategory>Object.

In the dataset I also have Object ID.

The previous tab shows the top 10 Objects after drill down for a restricted point in time. I would like to display the WHOLE time series for those 10 objects (based on x axis time (Date) and  Object Value, with the Objects appearing in the legend.

How might I do this?

Thanks.

15 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

After your drill down in your first tab, do you have actually selected those top 10 Objects or do you just use e.g. a sorting and presentation limitation in the object properties?

Or could you specify, on which fields you have selected on so far (e.g. by drilling down or selecting in list box)?

Not applicable
Author

Just using presentation limitation in the object properties, though I may drill down to 1 object only (in which case i'd like my time series chart to show values only in relation to that 1 object.

I'll be navigating via drill down. So i guess if i haven't drill-down to the object level, it should show all the objects for the subcategory or category (depending on what level of the drill down navigation i'm at)...

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Ok, I think you should try this:

Create a line chart with 2 dimensions, Date and Object, and one expression:

=sum({$<Date=, Object= {"=rank(sum(ObjectValue))<=10"} >} ObjectValue)

I use a set expression here, if you are not familiar with this, please have a look at the Help - set analysis.

The set expression kind of uses a selection only valid for the expression, and I use the current selection ($ set identifier), then clear any selection in Date field (I assume that you restricted Date  in the other tab. You would need to clear all date fields you have selected in, so maybe add year, month etc. if needed.

Clearing the selection on Date will lead to your diagram showing the complete range of dates (whole time series).

Then I set a new Selection in field Object, and I use a search to retrieve the Objects I want, I am looking for the Objects with rank <=10 based on sum(ObjectValue), so I want the Top10).

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, but I'm afraid I can't deselect dates in other tabs as its time series data-naturally restricts as I drill down. Is there anyway to set it up via the script maybe?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

No, you don't need to deselect anything in the other tab. The set expression only affects the expression which it is located in (the one in the line chart). No other objects will see the modified set.

Just give it a try...

Not applicable
Author

Ok, just tried.. I'm afraid it only plots as per the date restrictions on the previous tab..

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Have you cleared all fields you restrict your time with in the set expression, with exactely the field names you are using?

I have attached a simple sample file that hopefully will show you how this works.

Not applicable
Author

Yes, all fields in your expression replaced with my actual field names. I still keep getting little dots, as well as longer but still limited time series on the graph.

My drill down in the other tab, for example, is looking to isolate the top x objects for which the current value is greater than the previous value by x percent. So in this case, the tolerance is exceeded, for example, once during the life of the series - hence the dots (as they seem to correspond)?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean with little dots.

Could you upload a small sample? With your data or my sample modified by you to match your setting?