Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Visualize time series

I would like to create a time series chart in a new tab which is semi-dependent on drill-down in a previous chart. The previous tab drills-down as Category>Subcategory>Object.

In the dataset I also have Object ID.

The previous tab shows the top 10 Objects after drill down for a restricted point in time. I would like to display the WHOLE time series for those 10 objects (based on x axis time (Date) and  Object Value, with the Objects appearing in the legend.

How might I do this?

Thanks.

15 Replies
Not applicable
Author

PFA test document. If you drill down using the chart above to the object level, you'll see that the time series chart only shows values for the specific dates drilled down to.....

Please note this will not be my only drill down tab, I have other tabs as well that will drill down to the object based on different criteria. It will work in a similar way though.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Ok, I think I understand what you mean with small dots.

That's due to the fact that your data does not show data for all dates (on a object level). To overcome this, I think there might be several approaches. You could play around with some options in dimension tab and presentation tab (show all values, suppress NULL, de-select suppress zero values etc.). I tried to get along with this in the lower left line chart, see attached.

You could also try to fill the missing data for the x-axis, either by creating a Master calendar that is linked to your data or by creating a data island. I played around and found the best looking results with an data island (lower right chart), but just play around yourself.

I am not sure if this fits all your requirement especially regarding your drill down with different charts in different tabs, but I hope we are moving on.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Hi, thanks, but yes I'm afraid the drill-down capability and transition to full time series data is integral to the document.

I have actually tried to play with the options but I seem to come back to the same problem. Instead of filling the missing data (I have too muc and it would be misleading according to what i'm doing), perhaps I can try reloading the data in an independent table and linking on the object ID? Would that work? But it wouldn't be optimal in any case as we're talking about millions of rows of data.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Not sure what you mean with the independent table, could comment on your idea here (what is the content of this table)?. Have you tried with the data island for the Date like in my example?

It's a bit hard to give you any advice since I don't know your complete data model nor your requirements.

Not applicable
Author

Effectively the same data that I've already loaded in (Object ID, Object, Date, Value, etc), but loading it again as a different table and then just joining on the Object IDs. So my time series tab would read from the second table. Again, if this could be done, I really don't think it would be a good idea due to the volume of data involved.

Yes, I've had a crack with your example...

The data model is quite simple, effectively as shown in the previous upload. The various tabs look at different things, but the behaviour is the same. I'm seeking to drill through several categories and subcategories to identify objects, according to different tolerance levels, which may me considered as issues. Naturally, the issues would be restricted to certain points in time and spread throughout the life of the series.

Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 18:51:02 -0500

To: aminul_ali@hotmail.com

Subject: - Re: Visualize time series

QlikCommunity

Re: Visualize time series created by swuehl in Development (QlikView Desktop) - View the full discussion

Not sure what you mean with the independent table, could comment on your idea here (what is the content of this table)?. Have you tried with the data island for the Date like in my example?

It's a bit hard to give you any advice since I don't know your complete data model nor your requirements.

Reply to this message by replying to this email -or- go to the message on QlikCommunity

Start a new discussion in Development (QlikView Desktop) by email or at QlikCommunity

Announcement: Join us for our first "Ask the Expert" event this week! The QlikView 11 Ask the Expert will be held on December 15-16th on QlikCommunity. More info »

© 1993-2011 QlikTech International AB Copyright & Trademarks | Privacy | Terms of Use | Software EULA

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I don't think just duplicating the table and linking by ObjectID (so all other fields are renamed?) will help here, but maybe I just don't understand your idea right.

If you had a look at my example, at which point do you think it will not work? If your various tabs look at different things, you mean you will always drill down to object level? The normal QV behaviour will be, that all selections in the different tabs will be taken and used to filter the data. Or do you want to filter independent in each tab? This is a complete different task then.

I am sorry, if my examples are not much of a help, I think I can't be of any further assistance since it seems I don't really understand what your are after. Maybe I should step back and leave it to someone who understand your requirements better.

Regards,

Stefan