Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Limited dimension axis in a line chart

I have an apparently unescplicable problem

As you can see form the image below, I have two line charts which dispalys some data. In this image i have selected only one month (november, as higlited top right in the image) and it all works correctly.

nov.JPG

But if I select more months, like for example all the three that i can (Sept, Oct and Nov), here it's what i get:

tutto.JPG

In the left graph the X-axis stops at 12 november, and in the right one it stops at 18

But as you could see before, i have all the november data loaded

I really cannot figure out what's the problem...

Hope that someone can help me

Thanks in advance,

Maikol

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think there is limitation on shown data points in a line chart.

Try checking the option "continuous" for the dimension axis on axis tab. You may need to format the continuous axis on number tab accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

View solution in original post

8 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I think there is limitation on shown data points in a line chart.

Try checking the option "continuous" for the dimension axis on axis tab. You may need to format the continuous axis on number tab accordingly.

Hope this helps,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

What do you mean with "format the continuous axis on number tab"?

I see there is such tab, and i see my "Continuous X-axis". I have tried setting it to Date, but the graph doesn't work ("no numeric values on x-axis")

I don't really understand what this tab is used for..

What should I set?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

I assumed that you are using a date type value with numerical representation, formatted with Date() function to a text representation like you want (e.g. 'D MMM' to get something like '1 Sep').

How have you created your values?

Not applicable
Author

The value used as X-axis is defined this way:

Day(LPAC_DAT_LETT)&' '&month(LPAC_DAT_LETT) as Periodo

where LPAC_DAT_LETT is a date filed in my DB

so for example i get "7 Nov" fot the 7th of November

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using

Date(LPAC_DAT_LETT, 'D MMM') as Periodo

This should format your dates in the wanted way, like "7 Nov", but will keep the numerical date representation also, thus allowing a continuous axis (in my opinion, it is always better to do it that way, so you could still use all the date time functions and you can calculate on dates also (add, subtract))

Not applicable
Author

Great! It works 😃

But there's one small thing i still don't understand:

This way i get  the "7 Nov" format if i have no selection, but i get the dd.mm.yyy format if i select just one month

Is this expected?

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Interesting.

For some reason, QV will not regard the format set in number tab for the continuous axis but the standard date format. Seems that is somehow dependent on the range of dimension values to be shown (I just set up a small sample and the change in formatting takes place somewhere between selecting 3-4 months).

To me, it seems like a bug (and the only workaround seems to be setting the standard date format to 'D MMM' too, not sure if this is feasible solution).

Not applicable
Author

Ok now it all works perfectly (Setting the standard date format)

Many thanks for all the suggestions!