Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

UI Design for the Power-User

I have an opened ended question for the community.  We will be starting the development of our new operational dashboard using Qlikview very soon.  Some of our users I would clasify as power-users, as in they are used to having all of their data in excel and creating pivot tables ... dragging and dropping the dimensions and measures they want to analyze.

My question is what is the best technique for recreating that behavior in a Qlikview object WITHOUT giving them the ability to create their own objects.

So for example the best way I can think of doing this is using a pivot table object with cyclic groups for the dimensions.  For the expressions I would create multiple expressions and group them, basically creating a measure cyclic group.  But the big drawback I see here is that I am forced to stay in the boundries of the fields and expressions I created cyclic groups for, a user is unable to "drag" any field over and pivot on it vs "hardcoding" a group and limiting them to it.

Does anybody have any take on others techniques on how to create this power-user pivot table?  Maybe with the use of user driven variables and then using that variable in your dimension set?  Any ideas would be appreciated ... even if you think the pivot table is the wrong object I should be looking at implementing this with.

Merry X-Mas,

DB

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Here's the basic structure for what we use at our company.  The text in the file mentions a version 10 bug and workaround, but I believe this bug has since been fixed.  You could probably remove the workaround code from the macro unless you're on an early release of version 10.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
pover
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

QlikView 11 is probably not a possibility yet to go production on, but if you look at the What's New in QlikView 11 there is a report builder on the last tab that you can review.  This same report builder can be made in previous version with a macro using the adddimensions and addexpressions functions.

Karl

Not applicable
Author

Karl that is exactly what I'm looking for.  You're right, 11 will be impossible for us though.  Do you know of where I can find any examples of people using the adddimensions / addexpressions functions in the macro?  Thanks again.

johnw
Champion III
Champion III

Here's the basic structure for what we use at our company.  The text in the file mentions a version 10 bug and workaround, but I believe this bug has since been fixed.  You could probably remove the workaround code from the macro unless you're on an early release of version 10.

Not applicable
Author

Karl/John I wish I could give you both credit for the correct answer.  Thank you so much for your feedback, this is exactly what I was looking for.  I'm going to play around more with John's example and then, when we are on 11, look into the new report builder.  This is a powerful tool that our users will love.