Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

cannot upload data from an excel file

Hi, I'm new in using Qlikview, and I would like to start with it, but I canno connect it with a very simple excel file; in fact I get the error message concerning scripts, but it's impossible to understand where the prolem is.....

thank you so muuch for any help

bye

silvia

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Silvia,

Are you using an ODBC connection to open the Excel file? Table files is a wizard to open and load some of the most usual file types, such xls or xlsx. The ODBC is completely different, and treats the Excel file as a database actually generating a SQL statement to pull data from the file.

If you use the Table File button you will not have any Database Field because you are not loading from a database.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Hi Silvia,

can you post your error message? It is than easier to help.

Have you use the buttons under the script window? On the right hand is the button "table" - there you can choose your excel file with an assistence. It's an easy way and it works fine.

Regards

vicky

Not applicable
Author

Hi vicky tank you so for your reply....

The error message I get is "esecuzione dello script fallita. Caricare i dati precedenti?"

Translated from Italian --> Script execution failed. Do you want to upload previous data?

Even if I choose yes, Qlikview stops and shuts down.

Maybe there is a problem in the source Excel file that I can fix? The file was made with Excel 2010 (.xlsx)

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi,

Are you using the "Table files..." button in the script editor dialog to load that file? Do you have any previous script that might be interfering? Are you using some ODBC connection?

Regards.

Miguel

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Could you post your script here?

IF you load from Excel 2010, please check that you use

FROM

[.\Excel.xlsx]

(ooxml, no labels, table is Tabelle1);

[OOXML instead of the BIFF specifier]

Or use the table wizard, as Vicky suggested.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

thank you guys.....

by disabling the wizard and following your instructions, I managed to create a new file connected to my excel.

Now the problem is that I cannot find any Database Field (Campi in Italian)...

I decided starting using Qlikview as I was told it is very simple and intuitive, but it's getting a little bit more challenging than expected.... Anyway, I love it, so I will insist....

Bye

silvia

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Silvia,

Are you using an ODBC connection to open the Excel file? Table files is a wizard to open and load some of the most usual file types, such xls or xlsx. The ODBC is completely different, and treats the Excel file as a database actually generating a SQL statement to pull data from the file.

If you use the Table File button you will not have any Database Field because you are not loading from a database.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Miguel...

so you mean that I should use an ODBC connection?

because now it works..... 

Anyway, does anybody know something useful for a new user like me?

Thank you very much!!!!

bye

silvia

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Silvia,

ODBC connections are required to connect to some database managers that don't accept OLE DB connections, and they might be required to open Access or Excel files in some cases (i.e.: security reasons), but for these files, the Table Files wizard is usually simpler and faster, since it does not require any additional connection layer and creates a load script that you can later on modify to fit your needs.

In regards to useful information, the QlikCommunity is the place to be. Check here for some additional interesting sources on QlikView, specially Rob Wunderlich's QlikView Cookbook and the Documents section in general, where videos, manuals and other valuable resources are constantly uploaded.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

Not applicable
Author

Unable upload excel file very likely it's document corruption 

if it's right make use of professional recovery software to open/read/scan/extract excel file http://www.recoverytoolbox.com/repair_excel.html