Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Macro randomly does not set variable?

Greetings.

I have a macro that sets variables that is setting a start and end age:

ActiveDocument.Variables("vAgeEnd").SetContent "63", true
ActiveDocument.Variables("vAgeStart").SetContent "23", true

There are all sorts of age ranges that it sets, based on a number of things in the system. Occasionally, it will set one age, and not the other. I found that if I changed the order of the settings (Usually I set vAgeStart first, then the vAgeEnd) it "fixes" the problem, but then later on, if I happen to be coming from a particular selection, it won't work. In some cases, in the one macro, I set these two variables more than once.

Has anyone ever seen anything like this? Is it a known problem? Its killing me, because I'm constantly rechecking my code, thinking I've programmed something wrong.

Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Not applicable
Author

DUH.

I forgot I had constraints on these. If the new vAgeStart date was greater than the current vAgeEnd, it wouldn't update the variable (but I got no warning message like if I tried to do it manually). So. I check for the old values before adding the new values and it all works file.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Sally,
Try to insert WaitForIdle or Sleep before each variable setting.

Not applicable
Author

I tried with WaitForIdle, but didn't seem to make a difference (other than generally slowing down the screen). But I may have not tried it before each setting. I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Not applicable
Author

Did the following:

ActiveDocument.GetApplication.WaitForIdle 3000
ActiveDocument.Variables("vAgeEnd").SetContent "1", true
ActiveDocument.Variables("vAgeStart").SetContent "1", true

And vAgeEnd remained the 999 it was before executing these statements.

Not applicable
Author

DUH.

I forgot I had constraints on these. If the new vAgeStart date was greater than the current vAgeEnd, it wouldn't update the variable (but I got no warning message like if I tried to do it manually). So. I check for the old values before adding the new values and it all works file.