Product 2Raw material 11
Product 2Raw material 21
Product 2Raw material 31
Product 2Raw material 41
Product 2Raw material 51
Product 3Raw material 11
Product 3Raw material 21
Product 3Raw material 31

If I use Count (DISTINCT [Final product batch number]), the function will return 1.

If I use Count ([Final product batch number]), the function returnes 11.

The corect answer would be 3, because batch 1 is the batch number of the Product, the raw materials were marked with batch 1 just to group it to the coresponding final product batch.

We have 3 final products with the same batch number, I would need to count them, for every month.

Please help me to count the batches taking in consideration the Product name too.

Thanks,

Nandi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want an aggregation that is not influenced by selection, use e.g.

count({1} [Final product batch number])

{1} is a set expression, if you are not familiar with that, please start with the Help page.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Maybe I haven't fully understood your requirement, but I think it can be done similar to

=sum( aggr(count(DISTINCT [Final product batch number]), [Product name]))

Your case seems to be quite special with all batch numbers equal zero, if above expression is not what you are looking for, I think we can improve on that quite easily with a bit more information.

Regards,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Stefan, this is the formula I needed.

Not applicable
Author

Mark, I just realised that the formula is not working if the month is added.

I attached to this post the excell file and the QlikView file too. I have a free version, I hope you will be able to open it.

I will also post a copy of the table that is in the excel file on this post.

I am trying to have a dig down barchart, from year to month and than to see the number of batches for the products in any month I choose.

Thank you,

Nandor

YearMonthProduct nameraw material  nameFinal product  batch number
20121Product 1Raw material 11
20121Product 1Raw material 21
20121Product 1Raw material 31
20121Product 1Raw material 12
20121Product 1Raw material 22
20121Product 1Raw material 32
20111Product 1Raw material 11
20111Product 1Raw material 21
20111Product 1Raw material 31
20111Product 1Raw material 12
20111Product 1Raw material 22
20111Product 1Raw material 32
20112Product 1Raw material 13
20112Product 1Raw material 23
20112Product 1Raw material 33
20112Product 2Raw material 11
20112Product 2Raw material 21
20112Product 2Raw material 31
20112Product 2Raw material 41
20112Product 2Raw material 51
20114Product 3Raw material 11
20114Product 3Raw material 21
20114Product 3Raw material 31
20115Product 3Raw material 12
20115Product 3Raw material 22
20115Product 3Raw material 32
swuehl
MVP
MVP

I am bit unsure how you want to count the batch numbers in the case of aggregated dimensions, like Month --> Year.

Maybe your solution is quite near, you could try just adding your dimensions to the aggr() function dimension list:

=sum( aggr(count(DISTINCT [Final product batch number]), Year, Month, [Product name]))

If this is not what you want, please give an example of your expected result per dimension / level of drill down hierarchie and please describe once more how you derive your results from the source table.

Not applicable
Author

Thank you Mark, it is working perfectly. It does everithing I needed.

Thank you again,

Best regards,

Nandor

Not applicable
Author

Dear Mark,

I have an another issue in an another table:

After I have the number of batches calculated for every month I need to calculate the labor costs per batch.

For this I need to devide the labor costs for one month to the number of batches.

The problem  is that when I select a product, the labor costs are devided with the number of batces of the selected product. For example if I have 10 batches in one month but I selected a product that was produced only one batch that month, the labor costs are devided only to one.

The solution would be a formula that is not influenced by selections, I need the total number of batches per month no matter what selections occur.

Could you help me out with this one too?

Thanks,

Nandor

swuehl
MVP
MVP

If you want an aggregation that is not influenced by selection, use e.g.

count({1} [Final product batch number])

{1} is a set expression, if you are not familiar with that, please start with the Help page.

abhi1693r
Contributor II
Contributor II

Hi Stephan,
I had a similar issue. So I have two columns, PART AND CUBES, with one to many relationship.(one PART can have many CUBES or a PART can have no CUBE).
Scenario: If I select 3 PARTS which have 2 CUBES, wherein 2 PARTS have 2 CUBES and 1 PART has no CUBE. I want a count of all the CUBES plus any PART which has no CUBES.
So the count should be 2+1=3.
How can I implement this?

I tried count(PART) + count(if(IsNull(CUBE),count(PART),0)) , but it didn't work.

@swuehl 
Regards,
Abhishek

A7R3
Contributor III
Contributor III

Hi,

I have the situation similar to the original posting and the following expression help to count correctly.

=sum( aggr(count(DISTINCT [Final product batch number]), Year, Month, [Product name]))

Could someone help to explain how the logic works here?

I would also like to have the count of the [Raw material] with certain [Final product batch number] in the most recent month, by [Product name]. 

So, If the [Final product batch number] desired is 1, the result for Product 1 should be 3, as the most recent month is 2012+01, and there are 3 counts of Raw material with the batch number = 1. 

How should the expression be modified to count this? (I know it should be Max(YearMonth) or something like it. I just can't figure out the correct syntax, probably due my lack of understanding on how the original expression works.)

Thanks in advance,

Ernest