EmpCost

So table data looks like

DepartmentID          employeeID     EmpCost

D1                         1                    100

D1                          2                    200

D2                         3                    250

D3                          4                     275

DepartmentCost=Sum(EmpCost)

Now I want to see what will be the cost  impact on all the departments , if EmployeeId 2 moves to Department D2 and Employeeid 4 moves to department D1.

After making above changes, I would like to see the DepartmentCost reflection in chart or table view, where I can see

DepartmentID     DepartmentCost

D1                    375

D2                   450

D3                    0

17 Replies
Not applicable
Author

Yes, that works.

Regards,

Kiran

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Hi programmer123,

it's good to hear that you got it working and even found a simple solution.

I just didn't get what you do with  the dimensions and expression (like =(DepartmentID) ).

Could you post your soulution here? We are able to open your personal edition file.

Thanks for sharing,

Stefan

Not applicable
Author

HI swuehl,

Please see attached file.

swuehl
MVP
MVP

Ah, didn't know that bracket thing, thanks for sharing again!

Not applicable
Author

Hi programmer123, I have exact same scenario as yours, and this discussion thread realy helped me. However, Im facing one issue which i guess you didn't. So I have made DeptID column editable, and EmpID and EmpCost columns non-editable. So if user wants to change the dept that an employee belongs to, she must find the emp in the table box, and change the corresponding DeptID value.
So in a pie-chart, Sum(EmpCost) is shown grouped by DeptID.

But the problem im facing is this. When user changes the DeptId of an employee, say moves EmployeeId2 from dept D1 to D2, in the pie-chart, though the Sum for D1 decreases by 200, the sum for D2 doesnt increase. Instead a new pie is inserted with same name D2 with sum = cost of EmployeeID2(i.e. 200 )

Why is it not grouping the names together? Can you please help?

Not applicable
Author

Hi RajaYaad,

Few pointers,

1) in this case , change in dept Id is case sensitive , so d2 and D2 will be treated differently, so please chek that.

2) Department ID field in Pie chart should be like :    =(DeptID), please see my attached example in previous thread.

3) If 1 and 2 is not working , please send me the qlikview  sample file.

if it works for you , please mark the answer  as correct answer

Not applicable
Author

Hi RajaYaad, Few pointers, 1) in this case , change in dept Id is case sensitive , so d2 and D2 will be treated differently, so please chek that. 2) Department ID field in Pie chart should be like :    =(DeptID), please see my attached example in previous thread. 3) If 1 and 2 is not working , please send me the qlikview  sample file. if it works for you , please mark the answer  as correct answer

Not applicable
Author

Thank you so much for quick reply. And yes, I satisfy your first two points. But still not working. So I went to create a sample qvw to post here(I cant obviously post company's sensitive data here :-).

But the sample works. I dont know what the difference could be. The data structures are same, one table with col A and Col B, and another table with Col B and Col C. And both tables are loaded from seperate excel sheets. I will paste my sample script here :

INPUTFIELD Dept;

LOAD Dept,

Emp

FROM

Dept_Emp.xlsx

(ooxml, embedded labels);

Directory;

LOAD Emp,

EmpCost

FROM

Emp_EmpCost.xlsx

(ooxml, embedded labels, table is Sheet1);

This works, and my actual data is same as this, except different column names from different excel sheets. I guess the cell text formatting in my real excel sheet is messed up(maybe extra whitespace or something). I will check that. Thanks though.