Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III

How to use Custom directory ?

Hi,

in QV10 R4 Server, as i have issues using ODBC Connector with Oracle 10g (bug with .net and the ODBC client) and i have strange behaviour with AD, i have decided to use Custom Directory

I have created a Custom directory, created a user XXXX with password XXXX

When i want to connect to access point, it never works.

I have configured the Qlikview Webserver Authentification settings with :

Authentification : Login

Type : Custom User with CUSTOM\ as a prefix

Login address : Default Login Page

every time i havbe the login query, i use XXXX and XXXX as a password and it says login failed.

What am i doing wrong ?

I have tried all authentification options, with Alternate login page, it still doesn't work .. i really don't understand

thanks

15 Replies
fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

As an addendum of my question,

is it possible to use both Active Directory and Custom Directory at the same time or should i remove Active Directory if i want Custom users to work ??

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Frédéric,

If you have set DMS in the QEMC, System, Setup, QlikView Server, DMS Authorization instead of NTFS and QEMC, System, Setup, QlikView Web Server, Authentication Always, Type Custom User you should see the AccessPoint and the documents within the Root folder without problem.

If you set authentication type to NTLM it will only look for the AD, and actually, in all cases, and "AD" exists if the computer runs Windows, regardless the computer is in a domain or not. So specify DMS Authorization and try again, you should see the documents just fine.

Are you using a proxy? Does that happen using any browser?

Hope that helps.

Miguel

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Hi Miguel,

i have changed to DMS Authorization

i have changed webserver to Type Custom User, prefix CUSTOM\

i have added a user

and tried but i can't log in. It says Login Failed everytime

Should i remove the Active Directory in DSC ?

i don't want to break my actual AD configuration if the custom directory still doesn't work after that

with IE or Firefox

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Frédéric,

You can try to remove the AD in the QECM, DSC. That should not crash anything, since you can go back to the QEMC and set the AD again (unless you don't have permissions, but if you are already making changes, you do have permissions).

Make sure your user has access to at least one document in the root folder. Go to the QEMC, Documents (or User Documents if you are running Publisher), select any document, go to tab "Authorization" on the right and add your CUSTOM user.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Miguel,

i have authorized the users to the documents, i have removed the Active Directory settings

but still Login Failed with my Custom user. I have added a User CAL to this user, still no result.. Really strange

Security is really complicated with Qlikview ..

I had managed to add custom users on a Qv 11 server but a big bug prevents me from migrating to the new version ..

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Frédéric,

I didn't say anything about licenses, the idea was just getting to the AccessPoint. I'm using a Server running  both AD and Custom directory, and both work just fine. When I set it to NTLM, I'm prompted for domain users, when I set it to DMS, then users authorized to documents, when prompted can see the Accesspoint.

If you are using a the prefix option in the QEMC, System, Setup, QlikView Web Server, then don't specify it when prompted. I mean, if you specify in the QEMC to use a Custom User with prefix "CUSTOM\" and you enter CUSTOM\JOY, what QlikView reads is CUSTOM\CUSTOM\JOY (twice) and that user does not exist. Did you try in your tests entering only the user, without the "CUSTOM\" ?

Hope that helps.

Miguel

fredericvillemi
Creator III
Creator III
Author

Miguel,

which version are you using ? 10 or 11 ?

so you can have both AD and Custom directories, that's good.

If you use NTLM, only AD people will be able to log in, but if you use DMS, AD people will still log in with their AD login but Custom users will be able to log in with the user defined in Qlikview, right ?

After the log to AccessPoint, both groups will only see the documents authorized in QEMC/Documents, ok ?

if only i could see that my problem here is at the login failed..

And yes i have used only the username, not CUSTOM\USERNAME   (in fact i have tried both to be sure)

Miguel_Angel_Baeyens

Hi Frédéric,

I'm using version 10 and 11.

If I use DMS, the AD users will not be able to log into the AccessPoint. They are not valid users in the DMS, unless names and passwords are the same in both. If DMS is selected, only CUSTOM users will be able to log in.

Once logged in, permissions apply: if AD, NTFS permissions, i.e: USER1 has permissions on File1.qvw but not on File2.qvw. Both File1.qvw and File2.qvw are in the root folder. After logging, USER1 will only see File1.qvw. And likewise with DMS, only those users that have been authorized on the Documents tab in the QEMC (QMC if you use version 11) will see that document.

If you are logging with username (without the CUSTOM) and the password in the Users tab of the QEMC, then think of a network (proxy not allowing unknown users to browse the web) or security issue (files have permissions for different users than the one that is running QlikView services).

Take a look at your web server folders (if you don't know the path, go to the QEMC, System, Setup, QVWS, Web) and make sure that the account that is running the services in the services.msc console has permissions on those folders, because when DMS users get to the AccessPoint, they are kind of mapped to this user on the filesystem. So if the account running QlikView Server is YOURDOMAIN\QVSERVICE and has not full control, or at least modify permissions on the folders DMS users will not be able to execute the ASPX pages and JS scripts required to make the AccessPoint work.

Hope that helps.

Miguel

g_westaway
Contributor III
Contributor III

Not sure if this is relevant, but I had a similar problem (DMS, Custom User, Authentication=Login). I had created a custom user, authorised a document for that user, gone to the Accesspoint, clicked Login and entered the custom user username and password; this was fine and I could open the document.

When later I created a different custom user and deleted the first one (to test a different document), Accesspoint remembered my previous login and trying to use the new one returned 'Login failed'.

By closing all browsers, clearing temporary files then opening Accesspoint in a new session, I got a prompt for the new user credentials which, when entered, allowed me to see the new document (which incidentally used Section Access and was not earlier visible).