Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Hierarchy Issue(Tree Structure)

Hi All,

I have a intersting requirement i.e. i have to display the data in Hierarchy view(Tree Structure) like

A

B         C

D   E    F  G

Here i  have attached my sample file and xl file also. I have requirement

1) If you select Austrila from list box in Hierarchy structure we dnt have data for City listboxes for both side then those listboxes should disappear (wheneevr we dnt have the data for any list box that should disapper) and suppose we dnt have data for Region either left or right side from hierarchy that list box should disappear and the arrow  has  directly point to State list box.

2) Based on a Column am dividing the whole structure into 2 parts(left, Right) but in my report am not able to get that correctly am getting same data for both sides for this am using a condition like  this""=If((Type ='Region') & (LOC ='Left'),Trim(Desc))"".

So please help me to get out of this

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Anil,

No, it is possible.  The complex way would be to write some VBScript to change the orientation and size of the arrow.

The simple way is to have different arrows.  In your example, I would keep the two arrows that point from Country-Region and Region-State.  However, if region has no values, hide these two (using the same method as above for hiding the List Box).

You will also have a third arrow that points directly from Country-State.  However, if there are regions, this arrow is hidden.  When there are no regions, you show this arrow.

Example attached.

Regards,

Stephen

View solution in original post

17 Replies
stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi,

I would use sets to show/hide the list boxes (Layout tab, Show, Conditional).  For example:

=Count({<Type ={'City'}, LOC ={'Left'}>} Desc)

This will hide the left City box if there are no cities.

Does that help you get started?

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stephen,

Thank you very much for your replay its working perfectly and how to hide the arrow also.

suppose for regions list box if we dnt have entries for that,, that list box should hide and the arrow has directly point to state list box  how can we do this????

Regards,

Anil

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Anil,

You can't change the arrow direction.  The solution is to have two arrows.  One shows for one condition and the other shows for the other condition.

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

Hi Stephen,

Is my requirement is not possible in QV? and i dnot understand  what do you mean by two arrows? and how to show them?

From my original post can you give me any ideas for my second point....

Regards,

Anil

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Anil,

No, it is possible.  The complex way would be to write some VBScript to change the orientation and size of the arrow.

The simple way is to have different arrows.  In your example, I would keep the two arrows that point from Country-Region and Region-State.  However, if region has no values, hide these two (using the same method as above for hiding the List Box).

You will also have a third arrow that points directly from Country-State.  However, if there are regions, this arrow is hidden.  When there are no regions, you show this arrow.

Example attached.

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

Perfect Stephen thanxx alot

My last issue is

In my Hierarchy for left side and right side i have to show different data but am getting same data for  both sides

below is the example

Based on a Column(Loc) am dividing the whole structure into 2 parts(left,Right) but in my report am not able to get that correctly am gettingsame data for both sides for this am using a condition(Properties-> General-> filed expression) like this""=If((Type ='Region') & (LOC ='Left'),Trim(Desc))"".

Regards,

Anil

stephencredmond
Luminary Alumni
Luminary Alumni

Hi Anil,

Like I said above, you should probably use a set for this.  For example:

=Count({<Loc={'Right'}>}  Desc)

Gives me a result of 21 on the cleared document while:

=Count({<Loc={'Left'}>}  Desc)

Gives me 11.

You should also realise that your expression for your list boxes is incorrect.  You need to replace & with AND.  The field "LOC" should also be replaced with "Loc" as field names are case sensitive.

Regards,

Stephen

Not applicable
Author

Thnx Stephen for your answers

This conditon =Count({<Loc={'Right'}>}  Desc) is giving a syntax error but i have changed my previous condition as you said, like this =If((Type ='State') and (Loc ='Left'),Trim(Desc))

now its working perfectly thnx

But am wondering that  in my live application am using the same condition like

=If((N_ITEM_TYP ='ACE') and  (C_LOC ='ODD'),Trim(X_ITEM_VAL))

there am not geting any records simply getting empty list box,,  if i  replace AND with & then its not showing the correct data, any ideas for this???

Regards,

Anil

Not applicable
Author

Thanx a lot Stephen,

I have changed my condition also  =If((Type ='Region') and  (Loc ='Left'),Trim(Desc)). now its giving correct result

I have tried with this conditoin =Count({<Loc={'Right'}>}  Desc)  as you said but its showing a error in syntax it self.

Regards,

Anil