Announcements
Qlik Connect 2024! Seize endless possibilities! LEARN MORE
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Very basic Scatter chart in Qlikview

I am trying a do a very basic scatter chart in Qlikview, I don't need any calcuated fields I just need to present two fields as a scatter chart, as you would in Excel and am having problems.

• How do you create a chart without using an expression, just taking two set of data as it is?
  • One of my axis is showing correctly (Year), however the other (Cost) is trying to show all values rather than just the sensible ones that should be on the axis. This has meant that the labels aren't going along the bottom/horizontal axis correctly, they are all bunched up.

Thank you, we are really stuck!!!

6 Replies
hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

Since both axes are numeric, you need expressions to define them. If you do not use expressions, QlikView will assume the Only-function.

I suspect you should use the following two expressions:

* Only(Year) - or Min(Year); Max(Year), ...

* Sum(Cost)

And then you need a field as dimension - this is the field thet defines how many dots/bubbles you will get. If you want one dot/bubble per Product, then Product should be your dimension.

Do you have an example to post?

Not applicable
Author

Thanks Henric, I have had a go but still cannot get it to work, (I am a very new user!)

Would it be possible for me to upload an Excel file with some dummy data so you see what I mean?

Not applicable
Author

YearCost

I have put some sample data in above. I need to show a bubble for each cost, not multipled together for the year but each separate cost showing as a separate entry at the appropiate size for the year. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help.

CELAMBARASAN
Partner - Champion
Partner - Champion

Hi,

It is possible if you use cost as dimension.

Celambarasan

Not applicable
Author

Thanks everyone for your answers. We have finally done it!

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

For a scatter chart you need one dimension (discrete values) and two measures (numbers; continuous values).

For a grid chart you need two dimensions and one measure. So my first question is - which of the two do you want? (See attachement with your sample data.)

The second question is: Do you have an additional field that you can use in the chart? I added a mock-up "Product" and a mock-up "Profit" to your data. Su my grid chart has Year and Product as dimensions, and my scatter chart has Cost and Profit as measures.