Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Anonymous
Not applicable

Application opening time in IE plugin

I'm struggling to understand what may influence the application opening time in IE plugin client.

Here is the situation (all files sizes are non-compressed, all times measured after preloading in QVS):
Application A, file size ~60 MB.  Opens in IE in 2-3 sec
Application B, file size ~38 MB.  Opens in 14 sec
Application B1, same as B but with partial data, file size ~5MB.  Opens in 12 sec.

Apparently application size is not the major factor.  I was thinking about front-end objects calculations and OnOpen actions.  Removed all charts and actions from B and B1, and gained about 2-3 sec.  Still much longer than application A, where I keep OnOpen actions and front-end objects.

Document Properties on the Server tab are identical in A and B applications.

No need to mention that I'm using the same Server and the same Client in all testing.  Version is 10.0.9282.8, if it matters at all in this case.

What could be the factor?  Apparently something in the application itself, but what?

Appreciate any ideas.

Thanks,
Michael

Edit: Both applications have Section Access.  Removing it doesn't change anything.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

After further research:

The application also has an unusually high (to put it mildly) number of sheets, and all sheets are showing conditionally, and the conditions are calculated variables (see above).  And, the conditions must be calculated every time on open.

Further testing confirmed that the only reason was that multiple sheets were using calculated variables as show condition. 

All other calculated variables didn't affect open time.

Conclusion: keep it simple!

View solution in original post

10 Replies
Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Pushing up in the list

Not applicable
Author

Hello Michael,

if you have complex calculations and expressions in Application B this could possibly have an effect on the performance.

Regards,

Björn

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Björn,

Thanks for reply.

In fact, I said in my post:

I was thinking about front-end objects calculations and OnOpen actions.  Removed all charts and actions from B and B1, and gained about 2-3 sec.

If there are no front end objects, there are no calcualtions. Or, did you mean something else?

Thanks

Michael

Not applicable
Author

Sorry,

I did not recognize this special sentence in your post

What about the datastructure?

Has document B a more complex datamodel than document A with several tables?

If yes try to remove some tables (just for testing).

Regards,

Björn

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

B is more complex.  The question is - is it relevant for IE plugin, given that the application is already in RAM on server?

Actually I tried to remove a few tables, a rather large ones, to reduce the size as well - didn't make any diffrence...

Not applicable
Author

Hi,

I'm not sure but I think in IE Plugin everything is opened on the local machine and not not on the server.

It is nearly like opening in the developer.

The size of the tables may not be that important if you have many linked tables.

But both files are not very big - so I'm also wondering.

What you can try - if possible - to join some tables. Someone from the support told it is more performant to have ONE BIG table than to have many different tables. But I think this has only an effect on calculations.

Your problem is just opening the document - what is strange.

Have you tried tranferring the script to a new file? Mabe it is something different in the document...

Its hard to catch issues like this - I know. But sometimes it helps to play a little with the document to get closer to the cause of the problem.

Regards,

Björn

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

This is correct, the flatter the structure - the better is run-time performance.  But in real life it's usualy not a reasonable design.  Anyway, I didn't expect it to affect open time.

Transfering the script in this case is not enough - there are tto many variables to copy manually.  Wondering if they are calcualted even in the absence of front end (?) - it could be a reason.

Anyway, thanks for you input.  I'll try a few thing to twinkle...

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

Looks like I got it:

The application has several hundred variables, about half of them are expressions, as a rule with set analysis.  Removing these variables cut openeining time in half.  Apparently they are always calculated on open, and no caching for set analysis.

As for the data model design - it doesn't matter.  If I keep data model and data as is, but no objects/variables/actions - application opens in no time.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Author

After further research:

The application also has an unusually high (to put it mildly) number of sheets, and all sheets are showing conditionally, and the conditions are calculated variables (see above).  And, the conditions must be calculated every time on open.

Further testing confirmed that the only reason was that multiple sheets were using calculated variables as show condition. 

All other calculated variables didn't affect open time.

Conclusion: keep it simple!