Skip to main content
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

how to use if statement in chart expression

Hi all,

I need to use IF statement in an expression  for a standard chart; I'm explaining with an example.

I have a table like this:

PK
FK
value

User may select (or not) a set of data with different values for FK and cannot select FK values, but the chart has to create an expression like this:

Show the trend of values having FK = 2.

I may consider to implement a second line with a different FK value, and compare it with the first one.

I already used an expression like this:

If(value > genericVar, value, Null())

it seems it works very well.

If(FK = 2, value, Null())

it seems it doesn't work very well - how to do?

Count(If(FK = 2, value, Null()))

it seems it works very well.

Thank you

19 Replies
Not applicable
Author

yes

Not applicable
Author

Your example it's ok, what is the problem? Take attenction that 0 it't different to null()

Not applicable
Author

Tried to use 'AA01' instead 1 and 'AA02' instead 2: the chart doesn't work.

The expressions If(status = 'AA01', QTA, 0) and If(status = 'AA02', QTA, 0) always return 0: the lines are fully 0...

This is my problem.

Not applicable
Author

In example Test.qvw I can't see status='AA01' or 'AA02', I see only 1 and 0002 .

Not applicable
Author

That's an old example. After that post I tried to use new set of data (with AA01 and AA02) and now it works. My real document doesn't want to compare a column with a string 😕 dunno why.

Not applicable
Author

Your example it's ok, it works. Try to post a screenshot where we can see the column with data and the chart expression 

Not applicable
Author

I already changed my document some weekes ago making a table per status, but I thought that was not a good solution and QlikView must do a string compare in expression... So I wrote here.

The example is similar to my document, the problem is not only referring to a document, but I just need to know how to do in general.

Not applicable
Author

...How can I get a substring?

Davidoff
Contributor III
Contributor III

=IF( Left(Examplestring,5) = 'Hello', Thenaction, Elseaction)

Not applicable
Author

Thank you all for your answers ^^