Skip to main content
Announcements
Have questions about Qlik Connect? Join us live on April 10th, at 11 AM ET: SIGN UP NOW
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Not applicable

Join two tables on text field

I am trying to join/associate two tables on a field that contains text values that look like numbers.

For example, Table A might have the following values in the joining/key field:

'128'

'128.'

'128.0'

And Table B has a value in the joining/key field of

'128'

When I join Tables A and B, I want the value from Table B to only join to the 1st value listed in Table A above.  Qlikview seems to be treating the three values in Table A listed above as the same value (numerically = 128).  Any ideas on how to make sure QlikView treats those three values as distinct text values?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using the text() function to force a textual interpretation when loading your data.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
swuehl
MVP
MVP

Try using the text() function to force a textual interpretation when loading your data.

Not applicable
Author

Thanks, that was an easy fix!  I ended up having to do some manipulation to the data in Table B because it had values like '38' that needed to be '038' (always 3 digits).  Do you know if there is a way to do that in the script while loading?

hic
Former Employee
Former Employee

If you always want to format  the number with three digits, then use "num(Field, '000') as Field"